By transfer - 03/06/2011 21:34 - United States

Today, I asked to change my major at the college I'm transferring to in the fall. Instead of letting me change my major, they withdrew my acceptance. FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 747
You deserved it 4 760

Same thing different taste

Top comments

YDI! They accepted you into a specific program. Once you decided to change majors they would have re-checked your qualifications for the new program and the number of spaces available. Either you did not qualify or there was no room. By the time they went through all that, the original program was probably full and they could no longer fit you in. For the rest of you aspiring geniuses who are assuming this is the universities fault - never change your major without first checking that you qualify AND there is space. If you skip that step then you are an idiot and don't deserve to go at all.

University admins are often dangerous people that don't mind screwing your life plans for bureaucracy. Beware and play the system right OP.

Comments

massivelyskilled 0
teddydunn 1

you are aware that you're not just accepted to a college, but accepted to a certain program, aren't you? and each program has different requirements, and usually, the program has a limited number of people accepted each year. so, if you switch majors and there's no room left or of you switch majors and you're not completely qualified for your new major, then they have every right to withdraw your acceptance since they simply can't let you into a program where you don't fit/aren't qualified for.

Unfortunately ydi if you signed up for a rare major, the key is to take the first year classes for your current major and then take mandatory classes for the major you want to switch into as electives, after first semester they'll let you switch no problem, or you can just do a double major!

that happpened to me too! i just called them out told them to ACTUALLY read what my email said!!!!!!

Eiregal 7

man u lot in the states have it tough. here in Ireland it's totally different that would never happen, I was finding it hard to cope with all my studies once so they let me cut classes I thought were not important, I love Irish colleges

That sucks. I changed my major (and minor) twice. Luckily, I wasn't kicked out. Good luck to you!

It did get changed. To not majoring in shit. (: