By BlindInTheDark - 09/10/2013 18:02 - United States - Londonderry

Today, I again failed to convince my girlfriend that the $100 in our account is the minimum amount we have keep there to avoid being charged by the bank. We have a joint checking account, and the only way to take her off it is to close the account outright. FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 218
You deserved it 7 667

BlindInTheDark tells us more.

Hey everyone, I see a lot of people in favor of the "close it outright" option, but of course I forgot to mention that in order to do so, we both have to go in and agree to close it. The only reason didn't do that ages ago is because I haven't come up with a way to convince her it's for the best, and since I DO plan to commit to her, I don't want to upset her.

Top comments

Opening a joint checking account with someone to whom you are not married is a bit stupid. Opening one with someone who doesn't understand basic banking is downright ludicrous.

1dvs_bstd 41

Well then, seems like we already have a solution, don't we OP?

Comments

And you still haven't closed it? And seriously, make her an ex. Somebody that irresponsible shouldn't be in a relationship no matter how good they are in the sack.

Having a joint checking account is just plain stupid. Women want - and deserve - to be independent, so let her fix her own finances

I mean, you could just go to another bank with no minimums..either way you choose to play it, FDB!!!

It may be an inconvenience to have to close that one and open a new one, but in the long run, you will save yourself unwanted fees because you have an idiot for a girlfriend. Suck it up, close the account, and get your own.

kyu_Q 19

Your joint account should never be your main account. Especially if you are not married. solution (if you don't want to closethe account) have the bank put overdraft protection on the account so that if she tries to withdraw or charge from the minimum balance it will be declined.

Luckily, I do have overdraft protection on the account, but that only protects it from going below zero, not below the minimum. Other than that I suppose I'll just have to keep monitoring it religiously in case she screws up again. At least until I come up with some excuse to close the account.

sammieshortcake 15

I'd tell her it was closed due to going below the minimum and that they need her signature to release the remainder of the funds. Open up a new account that isn't joint. (Coming from a married woman, this could work) lol

Well close the account then, if she is unhappy about that then maybe find a new girlfriend. Sorry you have to go through this OP.

Nurd4lyfe 7

You shouldn't be penalized just because she can't be responsible with her spending. Close the account and let her find out the hard way what happens when you go over your limit. Only way she's gonna learn.

YDI for having a joint account with your girlfriend, period.

You have to keep 100 dollars in the bank at all times? I've never heard of that. Also, why would your girlfriend not listen? Do you lie a lot, or does she just think you're being selfish? I'm not being skeptical, I really want to know.

I have the same setup, it's used when a bank "doesn't" charge a fee for opening the account.