By Failure - 22/12/2016 03:32

Today, despite having glowing recommendations, stellar grades, and an impressive resumé, I was rejected by all 15 colleges that I applied to. No explanation or reasons have been given, and it's too late to apply to any more. FML
I agree, your life sucks 9 847
You deserved it 932

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That definitely sucks, but I have to ask, did you have a good range of school, or any safety schools? Real ones? Or were most of your schools reach schools with a few "I'll probably get in here"s as your safeties? A friend of mine applied to 17 school and only got into 2, and one of them not even for her major. Why? She considered Oxford her reach school and only applied to a bunch of ivy leagues, high up specialty business schools, and a few might as well be ivy schools. She had a 4.0 and several out of school activities (though she had let most of them go by senior year) and a club or two, so she figured it was an easy in. Ivys are never an easy in. Plus, my school is high achieving, and she wasn't that special. The only school she really got into was an OK-ish state school that her parents forced her to apply to. Meanwhile I got into all but one of my 6 schools, and ended up going to a better college than she did despite only 3.4, and slightly more impressive extra curriculars. Another thing, if you didn't visit and interview at any colleges, do so next time. The only one I didn't get into is one of the only ones I didn't visit or interview at. It makes a really big difference. For your essays try to avoid writing about sports, mission trips/volunteer works, church, or grades. Also, for the love of all that is holy, don't just summarize the school's front page if they ask for an special essay (aforementioned friend also did this) on why you want to go. Unless you got a famous name with buttloads of cash behind you this will pretty much get your application thrown out. They know what you're doing, and it's insulting. If you got great grades by taking only the easiest level courses this will also count negatively. Try again next year, and enjoy a gap year to build up some cash and more resume fodder, don't get too cocky (impressive resumes aren't so impressive if even a fifth of your class is doing just as much or better). Apply to some "beneath you" schools, and if those are the only ones you get into they at the very least should give you a good aid package. A year won't really throw off the college experience.

I'm sorry to hear that! Unfortunately in states like Texas, the top 10% in your class automatically get in, so it leaves little room for other students even with exceptional applications. Good luck op, I wish you the best!

Comments

Sorry op. I had a similar problem (not the same but similar). I highly recommend just getting a job instead of trying to figure out going in during spring semester, if you can't go in this upcoming fall. Joining college during spring semester is a lot harder on yourself. So take a year off and work. But it is also true that there are a lot of colleges still accepting applicants. (Though the people saying apply to england, don't bother unless youre rich enough to not get loans at all. Neither the us or england will give you government loans (i tried england))

When I read this FML and the comments, I'm happy I don't live in the US...

most students don't realize grades are usually nothing more than proof that you're good at memorizing, in fact most students with good grades almost never get jobs because nobody actually knows how to apply knowledge to real life. schools don't tell you that universities care but they do, i know way too many people who're honor students who come out bitter with no career assuming they get in uni

This. I had people laugh in my face for applying to ivy leagues with my grades (which weren't awful, just not the typical ivy league range), while I got into them and many with close to 5.0 GPAs and all AP classes didn't. The difference is that while they were slaving away in school I was already specializing in my field of interest. Schools want people who have achieved and will likely continue, not people who can memorize really well like you said.

If you're white then that might be why. Affirmative action is stupid and rigged. The best students should go to the best schools. An application shouldn't even ask for race. That's how affirmative action should be done. No idea what race the student is so you can't accept or deny them based on that. Student A has a 3.8 GPA and is black. Student B has a 3.1 GPA and is Latino. Oh but the school has enough Black students to fill their quota but just a bit short on Latino students so... sorry...

This isn't really how the application process works. Also, there is always an option to "prefer not to answer" for race.

Yes it is. You should try going to a university and try a major that is actually academically difficult, like engineering and you will see exactly this going on.

Majoring in math, none of this going on. I know just my experience can't paint the entire picture, but it's likely you're just using this as an excuse for yourself.

polsen4273 8

Am I the only one who thinks there might have been some gross gramatical error on the resume?

fashionbug9880 22

Maybe your coursework wasn't hard enough? I remember reading somewhere that the admissions officers value the level of difficulty over the grade. A B in an AP class is preferred to an A in an average class. Or possibly your essay wasn't up to par?

bloodyfreak_fml 4

It's never too late to apply to Community College and better financially as well to get your basics done there then transfer to a 4 year.

Now my main question is: why 15 colleges? I applied for two good ones and was approved for both, Lebanon Valley College (a private college) and Penn State. Makes me wonder if you knew you would be rejected from at least half of them. I have heard of applying for 3 or 4 but not 15.

you could always start at a community college for your basics and then transfer in your credits to a bigger university when you get accepted. it will also save you a lot of money as its usually much less per credit hour.

Go to trade school. You're more likely to get a decent paying job while avoiding the debt.4 year colleges are a business. They are designed to take your money.