By Failure - 22/12/2016 03:32

Today, despite having glowing recommendations, stellar grades, and an impressive resumé, I was rejected by all 15 colleges that I applied to. No explanation or reasons have been given, and it's too late to apply to any more. FML
I agree, your life sucks 9 846
You deserved it 932

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That definitely sucks, but I have to ask, did you have a good range of school, or any safety schools? Real ones? Or were most of your schools reach schools with a few "I'll probably get in here"s as your safeties? A friend of mine applied to 17 school and only got into 2, and one of them not even for her major. Why? She considered Oxford her reach school and only applied to a bunch of ivy leagues, high up specialty business schools, and a few might as well be ivy schools. She had a 4.0 and several out of school activities (though she had let most of them go by senior year) and a club or two, so she figured it was an easy in. Ivys are never an easy in. Plus, my school is high achieving, and she wasn't that special. The only school she really got into was an OK-ish state school that her parents forced her to apply to. Meanwhile I got into all but one of my 6 schools, and ended up going to a better college than she did despite only 3.4, and slightly more impressive extra curriculars. Another thing, if you didn't visit and interview at any colleges, do so next time. The only one I didn't get into is one of the only ones I didn't visit or interview at. It makes a really big difference. For your essays try to avoid writing about sports, mission trips/volunteer works, church, or grades. Also, for the love of all that is holy, don't just summarize the school's front page if they ask for an special essay (aforementioned friend also did this) on why you want to go. Unless you got a famous name with buttloads of cash behind you this will pretty much get your application thrown out. They know what you're doing, and it's insulting. If you got great grades by taking only the easiest level courses this will also count negatively. Try again next year, and enjoy a gap year to build up some cash and more resume fodder, don't get too cocky (impressive resumes aren't so impressive if even a fifth of your class is doing just as much or better). Apply to some "beneath you" schools, and if those are the only ones you get into they at the very least should give you a good aid package. A year won't really throw off the college experience.

I'm sorry to hear that! Unfortunately in states like Texas, the top 10% in your class automatically get in, so it leaves little room for other students even with exceptional applications. Good luck op, I wish you the best!

Comments

KitsuneHana 5

Maybe take a year off, try again next year and use this year to travel and/or volunteer, maybe you need more activities and life experience. Or start out at a smaller school and transfer into one of the schools you really want.

Did you wait until the last minute with these applications? You saying that it's too late to apply for more gives me that impression. With stuff in college always get things done asap. Class sign up? You better have signed up for everything the first hour you can, otherwise everything will be full. Paying tuition? Get it done so if there are any issues with your payment you can get it resolved rather that getting kicked out. Same goes for applying, I got into schools that my friends with better applications than me didn't because I applied a few days before them. I know it sucks but there is always next semester, nothing wrong starting a semester late buddy. Use the time to make your self a bit more competitive by getting a job or something and go kick some ass in a few more months.

I agree, especially if they're more prestigious. I cut it close with state schools because I met their minimum "auto accept" requirements, but if you're borderline it's not the best idea.

The bar has indeed been raised. But the usage of vague yet positive words seems a bit suspicious. I know for myself I did have a 91 average, 600+hrs of community service. Did SAT (1950 back in 2008 ) and SAT2 (750 for English and chemistry ) . What I learned from all of this is that ... I wasn't special enough. But life is more about being able to continually motivate and push yourself.

Not sure if you're oblivious to how racist this is or are being deliberately racist both are equally bad.

JillianJuneBug 39

This may be a stretch but if you sign a waiver that stops you from having to pay the application fee then they could have rejected you because of that. A guy at my school got rejected from half of the colleges he applied to because he signed that waiver. I believe colleges see it was a sign that the student wouldn't be able to pay their loan and stay in school. So that's a possibility.

15 universities and not one of them was a school with clear admission requirements? Public schools are just as good. Worth at least 6.7% of your time. Also, are you sure your teachers wrote letters of recommendation to all 15 universities? I'm happy to write letters of recommendation for my students, but if a student asked for 15 of them, I'd tell them to pick their five favorites.

With Common App and this site Naviance, my teachers were able to write one general letter and I could send it to all colleges applied to. That's a good point though, maybe the expected "glowing recommendations" weren't actually glowing at all.

kk21days 14

... because universities tend to discriminate against white men in favor of candidates with more 'diverse' backgrounds, other things being equal. This is simply a fact.

You speak the truth. The school I went to had a diversity program. We had a Chinese girl in my major (civil engineering) and she just plagiarized on her reports and found several people to do her homework for her because she would turn them in and they would have like 3 sets of handwriting on them. The faculty were afraid to discipline her or fail her because she supposedly claims discrimination anytime anyone tried. I found that out when I reported her for not helping on a huge final group project. Another student we had was from an African nation and he spoke English well and legitimately tried to learn, but he didn't get a very good education growing up in his country so he was struggling hard and doing poorly in classes. They kept giving him passing grades for fear of discrimination and the department liked putting pictures of him on our recruiting posters.

I'm also applying to college OP. Which is why I know I can tell you that it definitely is not too late to apply. I've already gotten into my top choice (Marist College), but I applied Early Action. If you apply through the CommonApp, most schools will have deadlines on either January 1st or 15th. I know the Vassar College deadline is January 1st. There's still time to apply, but you need to do it fast, and if you haven't been already, do it through the CommonApp. Hell, some colleges have deadlines in February. Side note: many colleges are known for turning down applicants that are too qualified for the school, as they believe the student would not attend the school anyways. A friend of mine with a 3.9 GPA and a 1300 SAT was turned down by Marist. I have a 3.2 cumulative, and a 1320 SAT, yet I got in. Athletics, work, and extra-curricular activities definitely help.

Some of the CUNY (public university system in NYC) schools have deadlines in February and March. OP could also take a few months off and start in the spring semester. There are always more options!

Travel now and go to college later before you have debt! Look at it as a positive.

Yeah, right before you go into monstrous debt, take a vacation! What kind of idiot would save their money?