By almost broke - 21/02/2016 13:24 - Czech Republic - Brno

Today, because my fiancé is criminally incompetent at budgeting, I'm now having to pay the first installment for my own wedding ring. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 564
You deserved it 4 464

Same thing different taste

Top comments

expertsmilee 26

I understand how love is a complicated thing, but something in your brain has GOT to be saying this is a bad start and is probably a sign of how things are going to be going forward.

Comments

Ummmm....? OP, that's a warning. If you go through with this you'll regret it. Leave now or YDI.

Sad to see so many comments encouraging dumping a fiance for the sole reason that he can't pay for expensive jewelry.

It's more along the like of buying something you can't afford. It could lead to more financial troubles later on.

I'll play devils advocate here and say that maybe she pushed him into buying it and prior to this ring he had his budget figured out. We don't know everything about them from one FML post.

thenetflox 4

That's stupid because why would she be complaining if she was the one who pushed him to get that specific ring? She's complaining that he picked out the ring then couldn't properly pay for it which is a bad sign in a relationship when you can't budget

ShadowLor 19

It doesn't say he picked it out either. Honestly she could be a self entitled brat who demanded a huge sparkly wedding set and destroyed her fiancée's budget with her extravagant tastes OR he could have decided to splurge on a hundred Twinkies or something and wasted a couple paychecks. We don't know.

I paid for my ring and my husband's. He'd just put down a huge down payment for our truck. He surprised me with a beautiful guard for my ring for our anniversary. Now he manages our budget and I'm a SAHM. I wanted to stay home for our son's first year and will work soon. It's not always a bad thing.

Could you swap it for a cheaper one while he saves up for the expensive one? I know it isn't ideal but you can get some nice simple ones to act as a placeholder, surely it's better than starting married life struggling to pay for it?

Seems like there is a conflict in your financials styles. IMHO,straighten this out before the wedding.

My first husband picked out and surprised me with an expensive engagement ring. He couldn't pay for it. Our entire marriage was me bailing him out of debt. I finally left him after he'd sunk us hundreds of thousands in debt. We both made just over minimum wage. I was homeless for a year, paying off all the debt he accrued in my name. It took me 5 years to get back to square one again. And he wanted the engagement ring he didn't pay for back. Don't marry someone who can't manage their own finances. You will regret it.

Marriage is a partnership. You'll both need to learn that if you want something, it's a shared expense.

Talis99 26

Maybe you all ought to rethink jumping into something that pools your finances. Unless you get a prenup or something, he could drag you into mountains of debt. I may not personally buy into this whole "men are responsible for all the finances" and the engagement rings having to be so expensive and stuff, but this shouldn't happen regardless.