By almost broke - 21/02/2016 13:24 - Czech Republic - Brno

Today, because my fiancé is criminally incompetent at budgeting, I'm now having to pay the first installment for my own wedding ring. FML
I agree, your life sucks 21 564
You deserved it 4 463

Same thing different taste

Top comments

expertsmilee 26

I understand how love is a complicated thing, but something in your brain has GOT to be saying this is a bad start and is probably a sign of how things are going to be going forward.

Comments

And you're with him because?? Oh, yeah... Love. Doesn't pay the bills, though

This. All these young'ins on here think that "love" is everything. What people call "love" is fleeting -- real love has many layers, and involves faaar more than an emotional bond, which is something you can achieve with just about anyone.

I don't understand all the comments implying that it's the fiancee's 'job' to pay for everything or that OP should dump him because he can't budget. It shouldn't be the fiancee's job to support OP, bills should be split fairly IMO and not paid in full by one party. It's the 21st century for crying out loud and OP clearly has a job judging from the fact she paid for her ring. That being said: it sucks that OP has to buy their own wedding ring - nobody deserves that.

I didn't see any comments implying that...

The comments are implying it's not a wise move to marry a financial train wreck.. I don't see anyone suggesting that only one party is responsible for all the bills

joeyl2008 29

I believe we found a feminazi

#58 Nah, a feminazi would still want the man to pay for the ring, because, unlike real feminists who fight for equality, feminazis actually think women are better.

thenetflox 4
joeyl2008 29

#58 She made a gendered issue where their isn't one. That is what feminazis do.

Hopefully this doesn't start to become a trend

A couple months after I got engaged, I overheard my fiance talking to his dad about the ring. Apparently his dad paid for it with the intent that he would pay him back, and I overheard him saying that wouldn't be possible. I felt guilty every time I looked at it. Our relationship didn't last much longer.

That's sad :( Sorry you had to go through that

Welcome to the Land of Budgeting. I am your tour guide, Nearly Broke. Over here, we see a young man trying to budget, but tragically failing. Over there, we see polititians collecting money for their own gain, whilst the angry middle-aged couple wonders where all their life savings go.......

22JB 11

Money usually becomes an issue In marriage but if you guys try to learn from it now, it could help in the long run. You guys can always look back later and use this situation to better yourselves or maybe even laugh at. Not everyone is good with money, so maybe when you're married you can take care of the budget.

JRenat9210 7

Just because he couldn't pay the first installment doesn't mean anything. My dad paid the first installment on my wedding set and then I paid off not only my rings but my husbands ring as well. Money struggles come and go. We've been together for almost 6 years and we've been well off some years and struggled other years. Money struggles doesn't change the love you have for someone.

I think this is the best comment. :) so true. So real.

OP, this is the first warning signal that this may occur and get you into trouble in the future. PLEASE be careful. If you haven't gone through with the ceremony yet then do NOT be afraid to put things on hold. This could a sign of a very bad path. Tread with caution and DON'T feel like you can't back out, and DON'T assume he will get better, never assume anything.

saffy66 34

That's not too bad - I had to pay all but the first $60 of my engagement ring, and all the wedding costs, from the rings to the reception, because he was unemployed and flat broke.

Why is everyone thumbing this down? Shit happens. Although we are probably all curious to know more... Is this still the case? If so, maybe it does deserve the thumbs down, idk.

Probably don't get an expensive but worthless ring when you don't have any money