By fine - 28/02/2015 05:22 - United States - Danvers

Today, after struggling for over a year with it, and now having it medically confirmed, I told my step-dad about my depression. He gave me a disgusted look and scoffed, "Toughen up, cunt." FML
I agree, your life sucks 37 407
You deserved it 4 689

Same thing different taste

Top comments

flashback.miss 28

What? He calls you the c word and blows off your illness? horrid. stay strong, OP.

Pancakes017 19

People can be so hateful. Surround yourself with positive people. You're strong enough to get through this :)

Comments

What an apathetic prick. You don't need to "toughen up"- you need to learn coping mechanisms that are happy and healthy for you. Communicating with your asshat step-dad as little as possible to avoid his emotional abuse might be a good place to start. After all, he clearly Can't Understand Normal Thinking.

I have a feeling he might be part of the reason why you're depressed... What an ass.

Sounds like he's got some issues of his own to deal with.. Chin up OP, it gets better :)

Dodge4x4Ram 46

that escalate pretty quickly

angiee_baybee 15

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Pretty sure it's actually the result of a hormonal imbalance in the brain.

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic...

countryb_cth 38

Pretty sure even if he was being sarcastic its not funny and kind of rude.

That Pissed me off hearing your dad called you a ****. He must be a real man. If you truly have depression, seek help.

I'm curious to know your mom's response to this situation. In some cases people don't understand the mental pain and scoffs at the 'wimps' for not pulling themselves together and move on. Maybe your mother was supportive of you and he thought it wasn't that big of a deal.. Maybe he'd been there, done that and got over it after getting told the same. Or he's just a prick in this case...

Do what you have to do to control your depression or better yet eliminate it. He clearly isn't someone you need in your life if that's how he's going to talk to you.