Tipping point

By BagBoy - 13/11/2013 06:42 - United States

Today, I was taking out a customer's groceries when he offered me a $5 tip. I told him I couldn't accept, since it's against store policy, but thanked him anyway. He called me an asshole just as my boss was walking to his car, who then yelled at me for it. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 860
You deserved it 3 045

Same thing different taste

Top comments

This almost exact situation has happened to me before, usually kind old ladies try to give money for helping them to their car but one time a man from the army with a broken leg got pissed because I wouldn't take the money! I ran it by my boss though and now I just accept and donate the money to the charity the store I work in supports!

To take or not to take. The age old dilemma. Always take!

Comments

This same exact thing happened to me yesterday. Except the guy threatened to report me if I didn't accept the tip.

I get that all the time haha but I don't get called an asshole though

XxALLeViLxX 6

I've been there, except the old lady I helped jammed the money in my pocket.

I would have taken the tip. I work at a job and were not allowed to accept tips but I sure as hell have. I hope you told your boss the truth.

SnuWolf 15

Hmm. Low pay and not allowed to receive tips. Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I'm not from the US, so can someone explain to me why, when you're offered FREE MONEY, you can't take it? It seems to me the big bosses really wanna screw you guys over - they pay you below minimum wage, and then stop you from taking any free money you get offered!

Rosebudx 32

I don't think bag boys make below minimum wage; in fact, that's why they can't accept tips, because according to the actual stupid laws that you should be complaining about being a tipped employee means you earn half of the minimum wage and have to earn back that extra via tips. If the bag boy accepted extra money, he is by law a tipped employee and so can only make so much of the minimum wage. Interestingly, tipped employees who are good at their jobs often make more than minimum wage (not that that's helpful when minimum wage is $7.80/hour).

A lot of companies have policies against accepting gifts of any kind, to avoid any suspicion of bribery of illegal activity. Although very doubtful at wage-slave level, it does happen at other positions. For example, the guy who decides what supplier to use isn't allowed to accept gifts in any form, so to avoid favoritism...

^Some company's have policy's that you cannot accept tips or money, simply due to the fact of guest or costumer service.