They tried to make me go to rehab…

By anon - 30/06/2016 17:33 - United Kingdom - Aberdeen

Today, my father got out of rehab for his alcoholism. This would be great if he hadn't started drinking the moment he got home. FML
I agree, your life sucks 11 907
You deserved it 702

Same thing different taste

Top comments

The best thing he can do is more rehab. No matter who it is, they can pull through if they try hard enough and have the support they need along the way

Sorry OP. My father is an alcoholic, and I live with him. It's so hard. My dad has been in rehab too, and started drinking again. I've come to live with the fact that it's just who he is,and no one can help him

Comments

throw away all the alchol you have, and if he buys any, think of a punishment.

like rubbing extra spicy chilli's on the top of a beer bottle? ;)

get him to try the medicine Campral. it's especially made for alcoholics, and it takes away 'The Thirst'. it works really well. look it up online.

I feel for you, I've been there done that with my dad. It's a long, hard road but my dad quit after years and years of alcoholism and we were able to rebuild our relationship. I hope the same will happen for you someday

maladresse_fml 8

My father's an alcoholic and nothing can seem to make him want to change that. Nothing seems to make him want to change that--not my mother threatening to leave him, not the trouble he got and can still get into, not his deteriorating health. If there is no will on his behalf, he will not stop.

Why would you have alcohol in the house? What did you think would happen?

graphicstyle7 17

You can't be responsible for another's actions and ultimate decisions. I'm a recovering alcoholic, 26 years sober. I am ok with my husband keeping alcohol in the house. He's the kind of guy who can have one drink and stop, so he is not the one with the issue. My drinking problem is mine to deal with, not his. As far as the relapsed dad goes, this child needs to take care of him or herself. Dad is going to be hopeless until he makes a real change. Sadly, sometimes that's not possible. People who are not alcoholics but are dealing with one have to start taking care of themselves at some point. My best advice? Get therapy, go to some Al-anon meetings, stop worrying about Father and start working on making your own life better.

Bummer. You can't fix him, but you can take care of yourself. Go to Al-Anon, to learn how to take care of YOU.

I didn't know they had rehab in the uk?! I thought that was just in the us?

My father is also an alcoholic, had been for most of my life. The closest he ever came to quitting was years ago when he had his weight loss surgery. He was told that he couldn't have sugar anymore and my mother and I convinced him that alcohol had too much sugar in it and would make him sick. He was sober for six months until he had a follow up appointment and another patient in the waiting room told him that he drinks all the time and never gets sick. The point is, unless he wants to get sober for whatever reason, the alcoholic will continue his drinking because he doesn't see anything wrong with it.