These guys

By Anonymous - 01/01/2023 03:00

Today, my girlfriend of two years finally agreed to marry me. As I went on with the proposal, her Grandma tried rejecting me by saying, "These guys have gangster friends." FML
I agree, your life sucks 768
You deserved it 142

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I really wish people would stop this public proposal horseshit. To me it always feels like you are trying to make her too embarrassed to decline in front of her friends and family.

Who are "these guys"? Also, who is stupid enough to admit they have ties to the mafia?

Comments

Who are "these guys"? Also, who is stupid enough to admit they have ties to the mafia?

I really wish people would stop this public proposal horseshit. To me it always feels like you are trying to make her too embarrassed to decline in front of her friends and family.

Well, do you? You have something against gangsters, snob? Why is Grandma even around for this?

It is never a good move to make a marriage proposal in front of friends or family. If your intended accepts - then later you let them know… Marriage is a deeply personal decision that should be strictly between the two of you. And before actually buying the ring, you should have already discussed the subject enough to have a good idea if your intended is going to accept or not… I get that some people want to show off the proposal, but that’s a very bad idea. It doesn’t give either person the space to react honestly to what is a very serious decision… When I proposed to my first wife to be, she wanted me to ask her father’s permission or blessing, even though we were both 21 years old. I did as she asked and her father said “What if I said no?” I said “We are both 21 and we will get married with or without your blessing, but we would like to have your blessing.” Later, the more I got to know him, the less I liked him - He was kind of a jerk and I avoided dealing with him as much as practical. In laws can be supportive, but sometimes they can be a problem. You do tend to marry into a family, but you don’t have to live with them…