The war on Christmas

By drive thru madness - 25/12/2016 12:15 - United States - Amherst

Today, I was working the drive-thru. Everything was going fine until I handed a customer her order and said, "Happy Holidays". Before she drove off, she yelled, "it's Merry Christmas, bitch" and threw her coffee at the window. I'm Jewish and was trying to be polite. FML
I agree, your life sucks 9 165
You deserved it 951

Same thing different taste

Top comments

People take the whole "happy holidays" versus "merry Christmas" thing WAY too seriously. Just be grateful they said anything nice to you at all, ungrateful pricks.

This "Merry Christmas" verses "Happy Holidays" battle is bullshit. If someone says "Merry Christmas" to you and you're not Christian, appreciate they're being polite and leave it be. If someone says "Happy Holidays" and the political correctness annoys you because you don't believe people should use that term, appreciate they are just considering others and get the **** over it.

Comments

I work at McDonalds so yeah I feel you. My managers request that I say happy holidays to be inclusive to all religions, but working the front counter yesterday I said happy holidays to an older woman and she threw her hot tea toward me (luckily she missed). Some customers are super sweet, many not so much. I hope you made it out okay, no burns or anything

(for some reason this isn't showing up in my last comment, so my last statement ended with "no burns or anything")

"To all religions" god I wonder what a Jehovah's Witness would say

i dont think they celebrate holidays.. but they're usually very polite and wish you well back. :)

I work in a small sit-down chain, and said "Happy Holidays" to a customer after she said "Merry Christmas". We talked for a minute and explained neither of us were offended, it was just our automatic response. And, honestly, the employee is always in a more precarious situation than the customer. But it really shouldn't be such a big deal! It is totally ridiculous that it even enters someone's mind to make a fuss over the difference. There are many holidays that take place in December, and Christmas isn't the only one.

I don't celebrate Christmas so when someone says merry Christmas to me I just say you too, that usually works for me.

It's insane and foolish that you would say "Happy Holidays" to someone AFTER they already said "Merry Christmas" to you. How dumb can you be? If you were my employee you would have been fired. In that moment, you put your own fake phony sense of "inclusiveness" and "self righteousness" over the actual feelings and needs of the customer. Now if the customer had said "Happy Holidays" then I would understand. But they didn't. They specifically said Merry Christmas. Unless there was literally an angry looking Muslim or Jewish family within earshot of you, you saying "Happy Holidays" was quite a stupid move

tounces7 27

Someone throws a hot drink at you, call the police and have them arrested for assault. That will teach them a lesson.

Chill the **** out. It's not that serous

So employees have to ignore their own feelings? It's inclusive to THEIR beliefs as well. Anyone who throws a fit over someone not saying what holiday they want can go **** themselves.

#54 not all employees necessarily celebrate Christmas. For some saying happy holidays is SELF inclusive and isn't a phony sense of anything. For me personally, I'm not a Christian, so when someone says merry Christmas to me a simple smile and "thank you" is usually my response. But for you to say you would fire an employee for saying happy holidays to a customer just because the customer said merry Christmas is heavily unethical and discriminatory. If a customer gets offended that I'm wishing them a happy holiday season, that sounds like a personal problem to me.

WeirdUS 29

I wonder if cgpainting work for Amy's baking company certainly sounds like it

Helldemon 32

#54 You're an asshole, neither the person you're responding too or the OP had their customer say Merry Christmas first and it was requested by the persons manager that you responded to to say Happy Holidays. I really hope someone like you isn't in any position to fire anybody like you imply cause you are a horrible person if you would fire a person near Christmas simply for saying Happy Holidays.

This "Merry Christmas" verses "Happy Holidays" battle is bullshit. If someone says "Merry Christmas" to you and you're not Christian, appreciate they're being polite and leave it be. If someone says "Happy Holidays" and the political correctness annoys you because you don't believe people should use that term, appreciate they are just considering others and get the **** over it.

Yeah, this thing is getting ridiculous. Just be happy someone wishes you well.

As an atheist I'm just grateful someone said something kind to me, no matter what was said. This BS about getting upset over people being PC is infuriating. People are just more aware and trying to be considerate of others! They're ignorant twats!

Exactly this. I'd give you double thumbs up if I could. What difference does it make what people say or want to say? They are wishing you a good holiday season, regardless of how or if you celebrate it. Say thank you and be grateful someone is wishing you well and being kind. There's little enough of that in the world as it is.

Jew shouldn't have to deal with that bullshit.

Orioh 8

how was she supposed to know he or she is a jew?

I'm a Merry Christmas person, but if someone says Happy Holidays to me I wish them a Happy Christmas. It's that easy.

It sucks that everything has to be PC now or a big fight will erupt

You're totally right, being tolerant and respectful of others does suck!

It works both ways. Some people get just as riled up by other people being 'PC' and are the ones to cause a big argument to erupt in the first place.

People take the whole "happy holidays" versus "merry Christmas" thing WAY too seriously. Just be grateful they said anything nice to you at all, ungrateful pricks.

It's either somebody gets mad because somebody doesn't say "happy holidays" or somebody gets mad because somebody actually says "happy holidays" and they think that person is trying to be PC. You just can't win these days.

Why exactly are people getting so upset about people saying "Happy Holidays"? Seriously?

bloodtalon 6

Some people think that if you are not celebrating their religion and only their religion (by saying Merry Christmas), that you must be attacking it. They have no respect or even tolerance of anyone else's beliefs. It's extremely hypocritical.

They gotta "keep Christ in Christmas," which is pretty funny because I don't know anyone going around saying "Merry Mas!"

It's also a bit amusing as Christmas is a holiday they took over and not their own..

Because our nation is founded on Christian principles and over three-fourths (75%+) of our nation is Christian. Stop trying to pander to minorities. Especially on Christmas Day itself. We will fight you, HARD, if you do that to us in our country where people fought and died to protect freedom and honor God.

Honestly? Because people, as a general rule, are stupid.