The Terror

By Anonymous - 12/09/2019 06:00 - New Zealand

Today, it's my first day off in over two months. My colleagues disagree - they won't stop calling me. I'm not allowed to turn my phone off. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 597
You deserved it 151

Same thing different taste

Top comments

No one says you can't let their calls go to voicemail.

Maybe have them call your boss instead to confirm.... Now you know what to do when those same colleagues are on their own days-off, right? ;-)

Comments

Maybe have them call your boss instead to confirm.... Now you know what to do when those same colleagues are on their own days-off, right? ;-)

I’ve voted YDI. You really deserve it. A situation like yours is simply not bearable in the long run. It’s not a good life and in the end it won’t be healthy to be on your colleagues' beck and call around the clock. As step number one you should grow some balls and switch off your phone. Your management might complain, but first of all you have to defend your own interests. Maybe you’re in the wrong company and you have to look for something better, maybe you have to fight inside your company for better working conditions, but you should never accept such a situation.

sometimes some businesses rely on the one person. My boss (supervisor/manager) currently has this same issue but deals with 2 kitchens. she hasnt had a day off in a few years for one and most employees are useless for thinking for themselves. happens alot more than you think. if she was to not answer her phone for a day, kitchens would go to shit and things wont be done properly or even done at all. dont get me wrong, i completely agree no one should be in that situation at all. thats why i help my boss as much as i can to make it easier on her. if she was to up and leave the whole business would go down the toilet within a month id say and im being generous. she is legit the heart of it all and does so much for her job. but she has to take one so much of it cause most others dont do it properly or dont do it at all. this guy sounds like he is in thr same situation. but sometimes businesses heavily rely on one or two people.

LostSoul 19

People need to call the labor board on these companies. If you are in the United States, they are required by law to give you time off.

No one says you can't let their calls go to voicemail.

Turn it silent or have it forward to your superior if possible. If it's your day off you shouldn't have to take care of work stuff.

I know someone who was in your situation... It sucks. Is there no one else at work that can answer their questions? Sounds like you are in management... Good luck but that's what you got yourself into...

I doubt there's anything explicit in rules about letting it go dead. if it's your personal phone however, then unless your employer is paying the bill, you can do whatever the **** you want with your phone.

LostSoul 19

You have worked nonstop every day for over 2 months?

I know your pain. My boss went MIA about 5 weeks ago and now as acting manager I haven't had a day off since and working an extra two hours per day(apart from Sundays which we don't operate). Had half a day off yesterday for a doctors appointment and my phone did not stop ringing all morning. Luckily its my personal phone and I can just ignore them but got bombarded with questions and problems as soon as i got to work.

Next time, put your phone on silent. There's also a feature called "driving mode" that allows you to automatically answer text messages with a custom text, e.g. "I am currently unavailable to return your message. I will get back to you as soon as I'm scheduled to work again. You will survive without me for a few hours."