The reviews are in

By Anonymous - 23/04/2014 07:17 - United States - Rapid City

Today, my teenage son gave me the completed manuscript of the novel he's been working on for 4 years. Surprised and excited that he showed so much dedication to something, I volunteered to read it. I'm only on page 16 and it's absolute drivel, with grammar that makes my eyes bleed. Only 281 pages to go. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 493
You deserved it 6 661

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Awes0meperson 10

You could just be honest with him and maybe help him fix it instead of torturing yourself

At least he's into writing and not drugs, you should be happy!

Comments

rldostie 19

As a writer, I'd like to point out that most young writers have that issue. It's not really "completed," most manuscripts get re-written at least 6 times. Find the positive but suggest he continue to read books in his field and the importance of grammar. Have him sign up for creative writing classes. He's 16. Unless he's a boy genius, it's going to suck to an adult. But that doesn't mean he doesn't have budding talent and something to work on as the years move on.

onorexveritas 23

that's how I get when I read my uncles "book"

I know the feeling of reading such horror but find a way to constructively help him improve it. The fact that he completed it is impressive. Don't let him stop!

SarahBearah1995 11

Offer to proofread. Fix the grammar, and even drivel can be published. Remember Twilight?

Unless you're reading it in front of him, just tell him you read all of it

Honesty is the best policy! You should tell him that he needs to work on his grammar skills or whatever else he needs to work on, because it's better than lying to him, then finding out that he isn't as skilled as he think he is yet through other criticizers which will harshly impose his lack of ability on him.

beelee1988 13

Okay, I'm most likely the only one bothered by all the comments saying the son is 16. Where in the FML does it actually say how old his son is. He could be 18, 17, 14, 15. Everyone seems to be agreeing on 16. Did I miss something?

He still put a lot of effort into it, you should be proud he's so dedicated. Instead of being an asshole about it, offer to proofread it and offer constructive criticism. Your response now could either help him achieve something better, or make him to afraid to show you any of his accomplishments again.

Well if he's been working on it for four years the beginning was probs written a while ago so it most likely will get better as it progresses

Endure it and then tell him in a nice way that the grammar isn't top notch as well as ogfer to do spell check on it for him. My brother has the same issue, but he came to me knowing that his grammar was bad as well as wanting critizism of his work. Being honest in a kind way is the best way to deal with this issue..