The reviews are in

By Anonymous - 23/04/2014 07:17 - United States - Rapid City

Today, my teenage son gave me the completed manuscript of the novel he's been working on for 4 years. Surprised and excited that he showed so much dedication to something, I volunteered to read it. I'm only on page 16 and it's absolute drivel, with grammar that makes my eyes bleed. Only 281 pages to go. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 493
You deserved it 6 661

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Awes0meperson 10

You could just be honest with him and maybe help him fix it instead of torturing yourself

At least he's into writing and not drugs, you should be happy!

Comments

Plenty of room for improvement. At least he's trying and can work on his weaknesses.

The fact that it's drivel is the most alarming bit. How do you put a positive spin on that?

Wizardo 33

Point them out, he's looking for constructive criticism. Maybe even enrol him into some basic creative writing classes and give him material to read, good solid classics to start with I say 'Old Sport'.

Tell him to take it somewhere to get grammatically fixed, say it in a kind, proud father type of way and I'm pretty sure you won't hurt his feelings OP!

Congrats on the promotion to Chief Editor

I hope he wrote it on Word, usually it's nice enough to show you if your English skills suck.

Brianna_Ray 23

And that is why we have editors before things are published! Just be honest with him when you give feedback so he can improve it :)

It's nice to see that he was so committed to writing.

Wow, so your teenage son's first book isn't as good as an author who's been writing for years and you're complaining? Teach him better grammar if his grammar is bad. He is obviously motivated and you should be proud of him, and also proud of yourself for raising a kid who has such motivation rather than a kid who does nothing but play video games and smoke weed all day. I understand if it's hard to read, and you of course want to tell him it's great, and it's not, but it's his first try. I wouldn't say f my life over something like that, I'd be happy, and you should appreciate that he's aspiring to do something like this.