The reviews are in

By Anonymous - 23/04/2014 07:17 - United States - Rapid City

Today, my teenage son gave me the completed manuscript of the novel he's been working on for 4 years. Surprised and excited that he showed so much dedication to something, I volunteered to read it. I'm only on page 16 and it's absolute drivel, with grammar that makes my eyes bleed. Only 281 pages to go. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 493
You deserved it 6 661

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Awes0meperson 10

You could just be honest with him and maybe help him fix it instead of torturing yourself

At least he's into writing and not drugs, you should be happy!

Comments

Looks like Brian Griffin finished that novel he's been working on.

A few things, OP. One: first drafts are always horrid. Two: what you consider drivel might be what a publisher considers a gold strike--I don't find Twilight, 50 Shades of Grey, etc. worthy to wipe my ass with, yet the publishers who took chances on both series are now raking it in. Three: you'd be surprised how popular "alternative" interpretations of grammar can be. I say F your son's life. Suck it up, admire your son's dedication, and see about finding him a writing workshop or class where he can get helpful feedback from a more supportive source, and be glad he has that kind of commitment to something besides drugs, girls (or boys, or whoever floats his boat), or video games!

he's a teen and he had the patience to right a novel for four years...you should give him more credit...

Nobody is born a great writer and everyone needs to start somewhere. Even completing a story of that length is an achievement - like finishing a marathon, even if you have to walk half of the way. He may one day be a great writer, because he clearly wants to be. That is something he was born with, and its great that he is channelling that desire to something positive. Writing is hard, but he is young and has time to improve. Ask him if he wants to be a writer, and send him to creative writing workshops and classes. Tell him you are proud, but don't let him show the book to anyone else until he improves it.

If there's one thing I've learned in 20 years in the publishing biz, it's "friends don't edit friends' manuscripts." That goes double for family. Give him unconditional support and praise ("I'm blown away by your imagination") -- absolutely not even one word of "constructive" criticism -- and help him find a writing class or writers' group for the editing. There are plenty of groups whose main function is to pass around and critique each others' mss, and it's a lot easier to take from somebody who doesn't know you. Love and editing do not go together. I have seen this over and over and over again. Please love and support your son as only you can do, and leave the editing to professionals, or at least skilled amateurs.

Kids at his age are very self conscious. They are worried that what they do isn't good enough. I would know, I have two teens. Be supportive, not overly critical.

Instead of shutting him down completely, offer to be his editor

I agree with everyone else. He's. A teen, encourage. This work! Enrol him in some classes to help improve his writing techniques. So many kids don't move forward with their dreams because parents fail to support and encourage. Personally, I think it's phenominal that he wrote a complete novel!

Attacksloth 33

I'm a writer, and in my experience, first drafts of anything - poetry, short stories, novels - are TERRIBLE. I'm currently writing a novel which is about halfway done (right now it's about 41 000 words, and it's at its "narrative mid point"), and when I gloss over or re-read earlier parts, I grimace. The words sound like shit. If it's his first attempt at a novel, this is another reason why it doesn't sound like Ernest Hemingway. Instead of digging your eyes out, help your kid. He is obviously passionate about it, and whether he's good or not, you should support him and help him reach his potential - whatever that potential is.

Think about it, it could be a masterpiece. He's a teenager who started wiring this 4 years ago. His grammar was probably crap back then. Maybe as you read through the book, you will see the grammar evolve as he evolved mentally in school