The reviews are in

By Anonymous - 23/04/2014 07:17 - United States - Rapid City

Today, my teenage son gave me the completed manuscript of the novel he's been working on for 4 years. Surprised and excited that he showed so much dedication to something, I volunteered to read it. I'm only on page 16 and it's absolute drivel, with grammar that makes my eyes bleed. Only 281 pages to go. FML
I agree, your life sucks 44 493
You deserved it 6 661

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Awes0meperson 10

You could just be honest with him and maybe help him fix it instead of torturing yourself

At least he's into writing and not drugs, you should be happy!

Comments

Look on the bright side - grammar and spelling can improve. Not a lot of people have the fortitude to complete their first novel. Keep encouraging him and keep pushing him to work harder in English class so that he does improve. One last point. You'd be surprised just how many mainstream authors are unreadable without a good editor.

If it's a first novel then it's no surprise really. You have to start somewhere. Also you'd be surprised how many errors professional authors even make in their writing. That's what editors are there for.

guyssite 4

If your 16 year old son has grammar that "makes your eyes bleed," then you need to take a good, long look in the mirror. As his parent, his education is ultimately your responsibility. OP failed his son and now expects sympathy.

Or OP's son didn't heed the lessons he was taught in his English classes. I suppose OP could ask his son if this is what passes for grammar education in schools nowadays or if his son slept through his classes.

Just be sure to be supportive but also give constructive criticism. You could also help out by being his editor!

hunteryager 18

He did try, gotta give him that.

When you're finished reading it tell him that it's good, but he needs to fix his grammar. No harm done

WhisperSoflty 20

But obviously OP doesn't think it's good. He called it "absolute drivel" in addition to having horrendous grammar. OP should be politely straightforward instead of fluffing up his son and giving him an inaccurately inflated sense of pride in a poor piece of writing.

#37- A parent should always be supportive and give their kids a sense of accomplishment. Even if they don't like their work.

WhisperSoflty 20

Supportive, sure. But people seem to have mixed up support with boot-licking. The son clearly has a great work ethic, but if the story is bad OP shouldn't lie (by omission or otherwise). The son is never going to get better if all OP mentions is the grammar and never addresses the meat of the story.

#37- I agree. Parents shouldn't lie. But I feel pointing out what they did right, then respectfully and tactfully going over some things that they could improve on is a more effective way of approaching this.

Correct he grammar and then it might become the #1 New York Times best seller

Honestly? I think it's absolutely amazing that your teenage son spent 4 years of his life writing a 300 page novel. I mean, how many teenagers do that? That's what I call dedication. Also, the fact that he trusts you enough to give it to you to read is pretty great. Now, I'm not saying you should pretend he's the new Shakespeare, but I would encourage his passion for writing by giving him constructive criticism and maybe suggesting to enroll him in a creative writing course.

middlenamefrank 8

So he's a teen and has spent 4 years on it...that means he was pretty young when he started. Cut the kid some slack and help him become a better writer, dad.