Thanks, privatisation!

By Sivvus - This FML is from back in 2011 but it's good stuff - Reserved

Today, I paid £140 for a train ticket. All the seats were full. When I sat in the corridor the guard yelled at me. I paid £140 to stand outside a stinking train toilet for 7 hours. FML
I agree, your life sucks 33 401
You deserved it 3 419

Top comments

Go inside the bathroom and lock the door. Make the trip inconvenient for everyone else too.

Monikabug 9

And no man offered you his seat? MONSTERS! I have a hard time imagining EVERY seat being full, did you just stay in one car for the full seven hours and didn't grab a seat when people got off at various stops? Seems a bit fishy to me.

Comments

Monikabug 9

And no man offered you his seat? MONSTERS! I have a hard time imagining EVERY seat being full, did you just stay in one car for the full seven hours and didn't grab a seat when people got off at various stops? Seems a bit fishy to me.

You have clearly never been on Virgin Trains. OP is a fool for going on Virgin Trains.

I know that some trains sell more tickets than their are seats, especially in Europe. It's not unheard of at all.

Garytt 0

would you give up your seat to stand for 7 hours?

Monikabug 9

I would, yes, because I'm a decent human being. Especially if the person was elderly or overweight or just miserable. If I didn't, it would eat away at me for the 7 hour ride. At least I would have offered, whether they let me actually give up the seat or not.

thanks to the Internet well never know the truth but I'm calling bullshit. 7 hour ride and you'll stand saying your a "good human" that doesn't make u anything. volunteering in Africa as UN troop makes a difference. not letting sone person sit down while you Stand up for 7 hours.

GrahamAker, way to miss the point of the site. Just because someone has it worse off somewhere in the world, it negates the OP's shitty situation? I don't think so.

Monikabug 9

It's called common courtesy, though clearly it is very UNcommon nowadays. It's easy to judge someone you don't know, yes - but several here do know me quite a bit better than you do, and know that in addition to having common courtesy, I am also a frequent volunteer and supporter for all sorts of American-based charities. So though it may seem like a bullshit-move for you to go out of YOUR way to give your seat up for a complete stranger, it isn't unheard of.

rallets 22

"UN troop" "UNcommon" i c wut u did thar -_-

Yup, I'd have given up my seat too. I always give up my seat because I know that I CAN stand, and I just treat it as exercise. Common Courtesy is completely missing from the youth of today, and it's why we get looked down upon by everyone else. And that's coming from one of the youth of today. It makes me sick, to be honest.

actually I'm sick of the whole "youth today" speech I don't know many young people who wouldn't give up their seat for an old person yet I've seen plenty of old people who see it as their God given right to have a seat on a bus or train. British transport is ass. I speak from personal experience.

sirin I'm sorry I didn't mean it like that. that guy said it makes him a decent human just for giving a seat up. that doesn't prove shit. if I gave my seat up does that make good guy?EXample even though I go home and beat my wife? and i doubt that guy would stand for 7 HOURS. anways a lot of people now expect u to give your seat on the bus or train in Athens just because they are old. which is wrong but that's a different matter.

Whoops, when you put it like that, you have a point. Sort of. My bad. :-)

actually 42, Sirin and the other guy/girl were right. The other guy/girl didnt say that giving up his/her seat MADE him/her a decent person. he/she said that he/she would give up their seat BECAUSE he/she was a decent person. >_> Sirin, I am honored to be in your presence 0-o

bitchslapped22 14

20- Are you saying you're not a good human being if you don't work in Africa as a UN troop?

A7X_LoVeee 10

42 - Monikbug is a female. Also, your grammar is absolutely horrendous.

48 just an example. that's all. if it makes you feel better you could go volunteer on Jupiter where I hear unicorns are dying of lack of double rainbow light, to make you a better person. now forgive my grammar I live in Greece.

oh 47 sirin wrote something about him saying oh user what u mean. but I think he deleted it though. whatever. I know for fact no one give there seat to stand for 7 hours. I wouldn't only if the person had a diesase autism.down syndrome, and so on.

Monikabug 9

See just because YOU wouldn't, doesn't mean that no one else would. Because, as I had said before and will say again I certainly would.

roe010992 10

Ever been on a British train?

indy316 0

I've been in the exact same situation in many places in Europe. we often had to sit along side a good 10 other people plus our bags on the stairs leading down to the door. I got you, OP!

Go inside the bathroom and lock the door. Make the trip inconvenient for everyone else too.

ImaWiseGuy 5

haha...well at least you lost 140 pounds, right?

And then right before you leave put super glue on the toilet seat :D!

Next time get the earlier train, I hope this advice helps you in the future.

canadaman10303 0

well if your a woman, then yeah your life sucks cuz no man offered you his seat. if your a man, then you shoulda got on the train sooner to grab a seat.

She's a woman, see that symbol in the corner?

joeyl2008 29

If I was taking a 7 hour train ride I wouldn't give my seat to someone just because they are a woman.

thebestof1984 0

You should of taken a refund or wait for the next train.

FYLDeep 25

Man that's a shitload of money to ride in a train. I've never even been on one before, but that sounds like a lot of ******* money to waste on such a shitty experience. I'm just glad I can afford a car, and wouldn't need to travel in a ******* train.

Trains are efficient, fast transportation which waste less fossil fuels than cars. They are generally more pleasant than a bus or an airplane, especially for medium-length trips. Stop being an ass and assuming that this is a) the normal train experience and b) not a conscious choice to save energy on the OP's part.

TheDrifter 23

It may save energy but it certainly isn't cost efficient. That's almost $300 for a seven hour trip. A trip the same distance in the car would be about $60 in gas.

zowieandzander77 1

drifter gas must be much cheaper in Canada... 60 dollars will not fill the average tank once in the US now... a seven hour car ride would be more than one tank of gas...

drifter, the uk petrol prices are way higher than that

FYLDeep 25

Gas is about $3.80 per gallon over here now. **** trains. Once you get there you're probably going to have to rent a car, or take taxi's which is a huge pain in the ass. Probably would have been much easier to drive IMO.

RainbowHeadache 2

If people didn't drive big ass vehicles (who chose to) then 60 bucks would fill their tank if not overflow it, & they shouldn't bitch. "Man I bought this big ******* hummer but I can't get it to go two blocks before I have to fill up again with diesel and blood of the innocent." I have a 95 ford explorer because I have no other choice and it only take 40 at the max to fill mine up at 3.80 a gallon. Never rode a train but I do know standing for 7 hours is a bitch. FYL op.

TheDrifter 23

Gas is just over 4.50 a gallon here. One tank in the Infiniti will take me about 750km and costs between 65 and 80 bucks depending how empty it is. I assumed most Europeans drive smaller cars than a G35 and would therefore get better milage.

way waaay higher. it's about $2.50 a LITRE now and would cost in the region of $120-130 to fill the average car.

that's in the UK I'm talking about. it works out at over $11 a gallon here. so yeah, you guys have nothing to complain about! :P

RainbowHeadache 2

Depends on what you guys get paid on average at a job. if you got paid say 9 dollars min wage or more it's easier to pay that 11 in gas. (just throwing out a number.) min wage is 7.50 here. Not sure about in the UK.

In America. Gas is WAY more expensive in Europe.

perdix 29

You should have pretended to be the bathroom attendant and handed people paper towels at the sink. You could have made enough in tips to cover the cost of your ticket.