Thanks, "Mom"

By thafinest - 12/10/2009 23:32 - United States

Today, I received a call from a collection agency. Since I had no clue, I was ready to file a police report for stolen identity. I then called my mom only to find out she has been opening new credit cards with my information for 3 years and not paying them. My credit is ruined and I'm only 21. FML
I agree, your life sucks 46 657
You deserved it 2 290

Same thing different taste

Top comments

teethsoup 0

wow still call the cops or something i've heard of this happening before to 1 year olds who cant do anything about it thats terrible. your mom is evil!

Bring in the law! You can't just shrug it off because she's family.

Comments

you shouldn't sue her at all! yes she has ruined your credit - big deal! she most likely has a problem with either gambling drinking or even spending im not saying this is definately true but there must be something wrong if a child did this to their parent in an addiction and the parent sued the child, everyone would say that was immoralif you help your mum get back on her feet and beat an addiction (if she has one), im sure she'd pay you back, or am i weird because i actually care about my family??

RubixMonkey 0

Fatboyy while wanting to help your family is one thing, this has been going on for three years. The Op should not have his life ruined because of this. Sure help his mother out but she needs to pay off her bills. He can't help her if he becomes a bum because no one will hire him, he can't rent an apartment. What if an emergency came up and the mother died, now Op has debt with no benefits and will spend the rest of his life dealing with him mother's addiction. While this is an extreme example, if Op was raped by his father would you say, "It's you family, don't press charges he has an addiction he needs help." Just because his mother might have an addiction does not mean she is exempt from life. If that were the case then none of us would have to pay our bills. You need to grow up and stop blaming the Op and thinking he is a bad person because he is male and it's his mother. Mother's are not perfect.

you didn't read what i said i stated that if it was the other way round, people would think it was bad if the mother pressed charges. family helps family personally, if it meant helping my mum i'd do pretty much anything maybe you don't feel the same way, but that should be the case for most people, surely? plus, addictions can last a lot longer than three years, and they often last for years without anyone realising.

the thing is, it's not some small amount here...the mom has been doing it for 3 YEARS and not payed any of it...can you imagine how much debt you could rack up in 3 years if you were continually maxing out credit cards and getting new ones? What would you propose OP do? Just sit back and pay all this debt off for his mother who was a bitch and stole her son's identity and consequently ****** his life over by ruining his credit?

i really wish people would read what i ******* said properly

RubixMonkey 0

I DID READ WHAT YOU SAID. I still think its dumb. I am not saying sue her for all she is worth, but she has to pay it. Op can't and shouldn't have to. Sometimes you can't handle family on your own. Sometimes you need help. If Op is the only one in the family how can he help her get over her addictions, especially if he doesn't know what they are. An alcoholic will only change if they want to. The only way to fix it is to give them a consequence. So what if it was a mom talking about her son, the person needs help. But that costs money. And Op can't force the mom to get better. If someone stole that much money, several credit cards worth, that would be in the thousands. The legal thing is to report it, clean up the Op's credit so he can help his mother, by getting a job and being able to pay for all her treatment--even then that's saying Op had the time and the will power to do this. Don't make this just about family, family does not get to get away with things, that makes it even worse. How can you even say Op should suffer for the rest of his life because his mother just might be greedy.

"if a child did this to their parent in an addiction and the parent sued the child, everyone would say that was immoral" That is no more immoral than ******* up someone financially and stealing their identity.

You did call the cops right? Even if she is your mom, it is against the law to open cards with someone else's name.

Bathory_fml 0

That's still identity theft. :P

This same thing happened to me, except I was 6 and it was my father. =(

PastorRunnels 0

Hes lying to get attention. Obviously, I know this person well. He hates his mother so hed make up anything to make her seem bad.

kristidgranger 3

I would still open an idenity thief case on her. if she ruined u'r name then ruin hers and don't feel sorry for her just cause she's mom!

Definitely sue her for identity theft. Not only will you bring her to justice, but we'll have yet another headline fail! "21-year-old sues mother for identity theft!" That'd be HILARIOUS!!!

I call bs. if not, I would press charges on her. if she's doing stupid shit like that, she must not have been a good mom anyway

ozymandias_fml 0

Well, ought to be an easy ID theft case -- you already caught the thief.

You DID have your ID stolen. **** her she tried to ruin your life, call up your lawer bud.