Tense

By Lucia - 03/12/2023 16:00 - United States

Today, I found out my husband and I are banned from family gatherings, all because he was my sister’s ex-husband. They need to come to terms with #1, that was 2 years ago; #2 we’re obviously a better fit for one another. If he was "the One", he’d still be hers; #3 you can’t force someone to love you when they don’t. FML
I agree, your life sucks 107
You deserved it 2 076

Same thing different taste

Top comments

YDI. Its obvious by the way you phrased this, you simply do not comprehend why your family feels the way they do.

You need to accept that you can't force people to invite you to their gatherings when they don't like you just because of blood relations. People can't choose their families, but they can choose who they want in their lives.

Comments

You said it yourself, you can't force someone to love you when they don't. Why are you surprised you were banned from family gatherings?

So your sister got divorced. You kept in touch with her X and decided to get married? I'm sure your sister is wondering if you are the reason he left her in the first place. (your post sure make it sound like it)

Sometimes losing friends and family is the price of love. You also can't force them to include you in their family gatherings if they don't want to. Accept it and move on.

SylvarLorali 4

No, we are not going to be glossing over the fact they banned you because ya'lls made the situation extremely awkward, aren't we... How are they meant to navigate around that? Also, two years isn't a very long time ago, no matter how you slice it.

MomofTwins 19

To me, it sounds like you stole your sister's husband and trying to justify it to yourself. You're the asshole in this situation, not them.

I could see this being okay if everyone involved was on the same page and you had your sisters blessing. Anything short of that then you should have expected nothing less.

Did you not know this? Did this literally just come up? Even so, wow, only two years have passed since this guy was married to your sister? Seems very suspicious to me...