Tardy

By Anonymous - 10/03/2023 14:00 - Australia

Today, I had to tell my daughter 7 times to get ready for school. I packed her lunch, made her breakfast, got her clothes ready for her, and yet it still took her half an hour to get dressed, making me just under an hour late for work due to peak hour traffic. Traffic I would have beaten. FML
I agree, your life sucks 509
You deserved it 632

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well either your daughters like mine and you have to pull her away from the phone to get her butt moving or she could possibly be depressed and burnt out from school try having a serious talk with your daughter and in a non-judgmental way and seriously listen to what she has to say.

Bammer1389 7

Sounds like it’s time your daughter learns to take the bus.

Comments

Sounds like your daughter is burned out. YDI for not talking with her about her problems.

Bammer1389 7

Sounds like it’s time your daughter learns to take the bus.

Well either your daughters like mine and you have to pull her away from the phone to get her butt moving or she could possibly be depressed and burnt out from school try having a serious talk with your daughter and in a non-judgmental way and seriously listen to what she has to say.

When we were kids, my sister and I both had significant issues getting to school on time. Turns out we both have autism, the symptoms of which can include issues surrounding time management and/or planning. If this is a one-off thing, well, we all have those days where you just physically can’t drag yourself out of bed, I think. But if it is a recurring issue, then OP should definitely try to work out the root cause of this and see if together they can work out a strategy/coping mechanism to minimize the impact this has.

alw123 3

Natural consequences? “It’s time to leave now and you are still in your pyjamas. Hop in the car we are leaving”. All true statements, no judgment, no shame just facts. She goes to school in PJ’s. I guarantee you it will only happen once.

I'm curious how exactly you would "make" her get in the car dressed in her PJs. This sounds like it could go either way. The royal embarrassment of being seen by her friends and classmates in her PJs would motivate her to get her rear in gear. That said, if she shows up at school that way, be prepared to do some explaining to school admins. They could make her go home and not return until she has changed her clothes (more time out of your schedule). Or she may have to take an absence (her responsibility to make it up). Then you would have to leave work early to get her (again, more time out of your schedule). Yes, she may have brought this on herself. But you chose to send her in dressed inappropriately to try to get yourself to work on time. Pick your battles wisely.

I ask. I tell. I take control. As the parent, we need to take control or the kids will be just like that, little turds. Kids need that consistency and commitment from you as well. YDI for being a laundry-mat parent who counts to 3...then 5...then 10... then threatens to tell the other parent.