Spooked

By broke - This FML is from back in 2012 but it's good stuff - Canada

Today, I started my new job as a dishwasher, and was very excited since I've been broke for weeks. A few people dined and dashed, apparently for the first time in the restaurant's history. My boss is superstitious. She fired me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 34 858
You deserved it 2 394

Top comments

Aww, that's just unlucky. But I bet you're the best dishwasher EVER!

every1luvsboners 11

You set it up, don't lie to us. It's always the innocent dishwashers that concoct the diabolical plans to take down the restaurant industry.

Comments

it really does, that's REALLY superstitious. must be a pretty new place because dine and dashes are somewhat common

Damn_Hippster 11

Your like a transformer and turn into kitchen appliances. (sorry, I know it's a bad joke)

Superstitious is not the correct word. I think that you mean suspicious.

I wouldn't say I'm superstitious. I'm just a little stitious.

How would the boss get superstitious over a dishwasher? Don't they just stay in the kitchen the whole time?

NTalbott 4

77- It's supposed to be implied that the OP's boss thought that the OP brought bad luck with them when they started the job.

Oh well, a dishwasher is a terrible job anyways....

Marcella1016 31

I think OP should be the superstitious one. Sorry, buddy, but that's pretty bad luck...

Aww, that's just unlucky. But I bet you're the best dishwasher EVER!

I don't think it was the dishwashers fault... More like the Chefs fault :B

She superstitions huh? Why not, spill their salt, break some mirrors and bring in some black cats That should ruin her day

Don't forget ladders and hockey masks on Friday the 13th. While walking backwards.

TheClumsiest 0

when i read the first sentence of this FML, i thought it was from a actual dishwasher's POV...

Wow. I'm sorry. I hope you can find another job. Good luck.

I'm not sure that's even a valid reason to get fired, you should do some research.

unoffensivename 0

Don't want to be a lawsuit crazed American but I think you could sue for wrongful termination

sparky42 2

In ontario you can be dismissed in the first three months without any reason at all.

When just hired here is a period where you can be fired for no reason. It is generally from 3-6 months depending where you live.

Washing dishes at Gusteau's restraunt used to be my promising career, until I contracted 'Mime-itus'. Now all I can do is create force feilds and turn invisible, totally less incredible than dish washing. =( *French accordion music*

Asylums are for people who believe in astrology.

Hey, that's my line. Except I use it on myself more than others. (it works best when someone calls me special in a nice way, and I add the Ed after a quick pause)

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway

Actually, it's a woman since "She" fired him.

Jesus Christ, #5, that excuse is abused enough as it is. Don't encourage it.

bizarre_ftw 21

Here's a question, since op didn't specify their gender tell me why the boss would have to be a guy? Or any gender? Can only men harass sexually? What if the boss was a guy, and so was op? Can he sue then? The boss is a guy, just like you said. Or what if they were both women? Or a female boss and a male op? What are you saying sir?

taytaylal 11

it clearly says "She", like 11 said.

73- once again, impeccable reading skills.

73- Here's an answer. OP clearly said that it was a she who fired him/her. Are you following along? Also, chill with the feminist shit. 5 was only saying that OP should sue the boss if he was a guy, because it is more common for men to be sexually harassing women then the other way around, but it doesn't matter because neither of you can read.

#73's reading skills are just fine. The point was that the OP did not specify the OP's gender, not that the bosses gender was unspecified. The other point was perfectly valid as well which was what does the bosses gender matter when it comes to such an accusation. Men can sexually harass other men, women can sexually harass men, and women can sexually harass women. They were not saying that the OP should go claim sexual harassment. It was only that saying "if your boss is a guy report him for sexual harassment" is frakking stupid because such a crime is not gender specific. Therefore YOU should learn to read and stop being so damn bitchy for no reason.

You don't need to be a law student to know that #5's option will never work for OP's situation.

every1luvsboners 11

You set it up, don't lie to us. It's always the innocent dishwashers that concoct the diabolical plans to take down the restaurant industry.

Boners you beat me to that comment spot by 10 seconds..But your proabably not at school.

every1luvsboners 11

No, I'm not at school. Maybe you should put your iPod down and learn the difference between "your" and "you're" while you're at school rather than stalking my comments.

Boner's, everyone makes mistakes don't be an asshole.

Calm your boners, he was joking with you. By the way he speaks, he doesn't seem dumb.

every1luvsboners 11

Awsumuzie, words can be deceiving. I'm actually a 58 year old raging alcoholic living in my uncles basement waiting on my cracker and bologna lunch right now. The only time I'm allowed to leave is on Thursday nights between 6-7 pm. I go to the local pub to sing karaoke. Rick Springfield doesn't have shit on me.

17- Boners* There's no apostrophe in his name. Now take Boners' tip and pay attention to your English teacher.

Mister_Triangle 21

Out of context, your comment is hilarious. "Take boners' tip"

This would have been perfect on Friday the 13th. But ya fyl op

Kristoffer 35

You have recourse. They can't legally fire you for that, especially as a dishwasher who never interacts with the customers.

Not if it's within the probation period, I think.

They can as they haven't been through the probation period where a company can fire a person for any reason.

Can here in KS... Laws here state no reason is required to fire anyone!

74 - This is Ontario we're talking about. State laws are irrelevant.

perdix 29

Since it was your family that did it, she's not off the mark. You have to tell your freeloading family that just because you have the lowliest job at a restaurant, they can't get free food there.

Did you cast him a VooDoo spell on your way out?