Some fantasy…

By Anonymous - 30/12/2021 22:59

Today, I logged onto Final Fantasy XIV to enjoy the new expansion, and had to wait through an hour queue of almost 2k people. I made it all the way to number 88 in line, when the servers crashed. By the time I got back in, I was put in a new queue over 2k long. FML
I agree, your life sucks 980
You deserved it 327

Same thing different taste

Top comments

How can there even be a Final Fantasy II, let alone a XIV? Don't you people know what FINAL means? Sounds like a scam to me.

In all seriousness, it was Square's last effort at a videogame before the company would've gone bankrupt in the late 80s. The "Final" part, well, that was just a good use of a word beginning with F.

Comments

How can there even be a Final Fantasy II, let alone a XIV? Don't you people know what FINAL means? Sounds like a scam to me.

In all seriousness, it was Square's last effort at a videogame before the company would've gone bankrupt in the late 80s. The "Final" part, well, that was just a good use of a word beginning with F.

So, to square things out a bit: the bit about "Final Fantasy" being a reference to Squaresoft's last shot at success, that's actually been debunked. They really just went for the "FF" alliteration. Although it is true they'd have been boned if the game hadn't worked, it didn't affect the game's name in a significant way. Now, why can there be so many? Well, just the same as any other recurring series: it was, and still is, commercially successful. Also, bear in mind, each game takes place in its own, self-contained universe, with its own lore. So there's hardly any issue with those games being "final", in the sense that there won't be sequels (with two exceptions, out of 15 games). Oh, and OP, don't worry too much, what seems to have happened is that EndWalker was such a ridiculously massive commercial success (and deservedly so), that Square had to close the servers down for a while until they can maintain the activity. Actually, a bunch of commercial content was cancelled because Square didn't want to promote a product that doesn't work. Tl;dr: it sucks balls, but you're gonna have the time of your life when it's fixed!

Oh, and never mind XIV, they've already made XV and are even developing XVI. XIV's just been a continuing story since 2013.