Family ties

By Anonymous - 17/03/2022 18:00

Today, I worked up the courage to contact my daughter, who cut ties with me four years ago when I outed her girlfriend by accident, to see if she's still mad at me and if we could reconnect. She informed me that once I die, she plans to cremate me and flush my ashes down a McDonald's toilet. So… still mad, then. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 089
You deserved it 368

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Don't ask if she's mad, it'll sound like to her that you're hoping she'll get over it. And depending on the severity of your mistake, it's possible she'll never see a reason to forgive you. You must plainly apologize and show that you genuinely meant no harm. Your relationship might not be repaired instantly, but it's a good place to start.

Comments

That would likely backfire, making the OP look petty and vindictive. Reinforcing the daughter's position.

Don't ask if she's mad, it'll sound like to her that you're hoping she'll get over it. And depending on the severity of your mistake, it's possible she'll never see a reason to forgive you. You must plainly apologize and show that you genuinely meant no harm. Your relationship might not be repaired instantly, but it's a good place to start.

TeaTimeAbyss 20

So wild to see kids teaching their parents actions have consequences.

Write a letter and mail it to her. That way she can read it and respond and you aren't going back and forth on the phone or text. Getting the courage to call her had to be tough I can only imagine how you felt when she didn't want to talk. I understand how you feel my daughter didn't talk to me for 4 years it was so hard going through that. Stay strong.

Actions have consequences. You may try to send a heartfelt letter in an attempt to make amends. Ultimately, it is her prerogative to decide, when, how, and if to bury the hatchet.

My mom chose her bf who assaulted me over me when I was younger. I tried multiple times to reconnect. One day she told me she didn't care if I lived or died. I never talked to her again. In fact I hated her so much I wish she died all the time. A few years later I found out she died 5 days after my daughter was born. I'm no longer angry and through some fortune I have her ashes. Every day I wish I could talk to her even though I know how toxic she was when she was alive. I wish she would have just apologized to me and told me she loved me. I wish she accepted how much she hurt me. A SINCERE apology would go a long way. But you can't do it to make yourself feel better. You need to genuinely mean it and make it about her. After all YOU hurt HER. She may forgive you. She may not. She definitely won't if you fml yourself. F her life.

I can see that catching on and McDonald's have to put up a very odd sign deterring people from flushing their loved ones.