Smiley smile

By Eh.. - 05/12/2018 04:00 - Israel

Today, I learned that just because the cute barista at the train station smiles, waves at me each time I arrive, and develops small talk, probably means she's trying to sell me pastries. The smile she had when I asked for her number, and the way she said, "Nah" still haunts me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 2 468
You deserved it 1 596

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It's a common sales tactic. Stick the cute people behind the counter, tell them to put on a smile, and throw in a little small talk, and it'll usually bring customers back for more. If you find yourself in this situation again, wait for them to make a move, because chances are it's just business.

Stan_The_Man 7

The cute girl that cuts your hair isn’t flirting with you either. Oh and that hot Bar tender that seemed a little flirty, no she’s not into you. They’re just looking for tips, or to upsale you. If I was hot, I’d do it too. Congrats on having the balls to ask out a cute girl though.

Comments

It's a common sales tactic. Stick the cute people behind the counter, tell them to put on a smile, and throw in a little small talk, and it'll usually bring customers back for more. If you find yourself in this situation again, wait for them to make a move, because chances are it's just business.

Stan_The_Man 7

The cute girl that cuts your hair isn’t flirting with you either. Oh and that hot Bar tender that seemed a little flirty, no she’s not into you. They’re just looking for tips, or to upsale you. If I was hot, I’d do it too. Congrats on having the balls to ask out a cute girl though.

cryptesthesia 3

Just because you think a person is cute doesn't mean you should hit on them at their freaking job. It's kinda a dick move...

Stan_The_Man 7

I disagree, if you like someone, it’s better to have the balls to ask then to never try. He may have been shot down, but you miss every shot you don’t take.

nihaomeowmeow 2

If someone hits on you at a club, you can walk away. Someone at their job doesn't have this luxury. They have to stay there and continue being polite to the person hitting on them, which is uncomfortable. It's truly a dick move.

EinVoegelein 8

Totally agree. Especially when them doing their job (which includes smiling, beeing friendly, etc.) is mistaking for flirting/beeing interested in you.

Guess what? People in customer service are required to be nice. I've also got a harder pill for you to swallow, buddy. Just because a woman is nice to you doesn't mean that she's into you. Grow a clue.

Yeah dude, obviously. Sales staff in any job are friendly to you because they're required to be. In the 0.1% of cases where they are actually interested in you, let them make the first move because hitting on people at their place of work where they can't leave is seriously uncool.

Itsbeenalong 5

NEVER HIT ON SOMEONE WHO IS SERVING YOU, waiter, bar tender, barista.... it is literally their job to be all smiles and make small talk. How creepy it is to work in such an environment and be hit on and then made to feel in the wrong for rejecting someone because you've been smiling at them for weeks! OP find a new coffee house. Everyone else is a server is into you, they'll find a way to let you know, otherwise just leave them to do their job.

lunarclaws 4

100% deserved it. Hope it haunts you enough to stop hitting on women at their goddamn work.

YDI because just because a woman is polite doesn't mean she's flirting. She's just trying to do her job.