Seething jealousy

By Anonymous - 07/06/2016 01:04

Today, my sister, who has been seeing a guy for a year, got engaged. I've been dating my boyfriend for over 5 years and let out some not so subtle hints and he basically refused to propose. This is her second marriage in the time of my relationship. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 172
You deserved it 2 579

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's probably the reason that it's her second marriage and you're still with the same guy.

I think you'll have to accept that your sister is not really selling the marriage thing too well.

Comments

Well, that's shows you that your sister is probably marrying a bit too early. You're taking time with your relationship, which is good. You'll get married eventually, but have to wait until you're both ready. So there's no need to worry about it, OP.

Forget hints. You just have to say straight up "I want to get married" or something just as direct, just get right to the point

Maybe he's not very good at taking a hint? And besides, it's the 21st century girl! You can propose to him!!! Don't let society tell you what to what not to do!

At least you have commitment in your relationship

Tsukiyomi 16

Just a thought, OP, but your boyfriend sounds like he tears responsibility and commitment the same way he treats Bengal tigers Get a replacement

Saluriel 12

There's no rule that women can't propose. But more than that, instead of dropping "not-so-subtle" hints, just ask him his views on marriage. It's likely that he doesn't want to get married because it's pretty much a death sentence for men these days. I'm not talking from an idealistic "ball-and-chain" standpoint, but from a legal and economic standpoint.

Maybe you could propose to him instead?

What many don't understand is that marriage is not required to happily be with someone. Damn you Disney for the unrealistic persuit of a happily ever after.

marriage has always kinda confused me. Are you really gonna be that much happier with a ring on your finger and a new last name (or in the guy's case just a ring)? Aside from tax related stuff, what has really changed? its now a lot harder to break up with the person? might just be me, but it almost seems like the cowardly thing to do in a relationship. (Maybe thats why my girlfriend of 6 years broke up with me... >_>).

For some people it just holds a lot of meaning, especially if they're religious. It's fine either way, but the future needs to be discussed. For some people it's very important and can be a deal breaker. And I believe it does more than taxes, it gives you rights in health situations too I think.