Seething jealousy

By Anonymous - 07/06/2016 01:04

Today, my sister, who has been seeing a guy for a year, got engaged. I've been dating my boyfriend for over 5 years and let out some not so subtle hints and he basically refused to propose. This is her second marriage in the time of my relationship. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 172
You deserved it 2 579

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's probably the reason that it's her second marriage and you're still with the same guy.

I think you'll have to accept that your sister is not really selling the marriage thing too well.

Comments

You shouldn't be jealous of her. Look at this way, sure, you my not be married; but you've been with the same man for 5 years while she is on her second marriage.

deathstroke990 22

hey, if he really doesn't want to get married you either have to accept that or part ways. From this it seems like he's kind of made it clear that he does want to, so it's not really fair on your part to have to keep pushing it imo

some get married after a decade. choose if you prefer the marriage or the man you love. also, two marriages in five years isn't a good example.

Not being married for 5 years is great! You made a longer lasting relationship, be happy for that. It's better to not jump the gun, you shouldn't expect a guy to propose. Maybe a few issues could be solved first , see a marriage councillor or propose to him. it doesn't matter if married or not as long as happiness is with you.

You shouldn't judge your relationship against other people's. Everyone is different. Being in a committed relationship where both parties are prepared to go the distance has to be more important than an on-paper-marriage.

NIGHTMARE3422 8

don't force it or you'll run him off ijs

epicgamer 18

If YOU want to get married then why don't YOU buy the ring and propose.

Ah, I never thought about that the one proposing, is also buying the insanely overpriced ring :p. That's perhaps why (also tradition, I know) women badly want the man to be the one asking.

I proposed to my fiancée with a ring made with sapphires instead of diamonds. Way cheaper that way and its colorful. But she's a huge fan of sapphires so it worked out for me, might not work for other girls since some have to have a diamond or its "not true love" or some bs like that.

Any woman who really loves you would take a proposal with a ring pop. If you're about to get engaged, you should know about each others financials and spending habits. If you have accepted that they don't like to spend money on frivolous things, then you shouldn't expect a diamond ring worth 3 months salary (another stupid tradition IMO) I think gemstones are an amazing idea! Go cheap, and use the rest towards the home! :) (not bashing the people who do buy/get big diamonds, if you can afford it, go for it)

Honestly, most people I know wouldn't demand an expensive diamond ring. I really think people should look more into their partners favorite gemstones rather than think they want an expensive diamond ring. Diamonds are pretty, sure, but I find other stones prettier.

i mean..... sorry for your problems, but your sister's not doing as great as you seem to think

Perhaps it is time for a conversation as to why he doesn't want to get married. Marriage has some benefits but it's not the most important thing. If he dances around the subject perhaps you could take him to counseling and get help making him spit it out.

Because nothing says "I love you and respect your opinions" like forcing someone into counseling because they may not want to get married.

If he can't articulate why he might not want to get married, couples counselling isn't a bad idea. She definitely shouldn't be forcing him to do so, but it's not a horrible thing to get third party help communicating.