Seething jealousy

By Anonymous - 07/06/2016 01:04

Today, my sister, who has been seeing a guy for a year, got engaged. I've been dating my boyfriend for over 5 years and let out some not so subtle hints and he basically refused to propose. This is her second marriage in the time of my relationship. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 172
You deserved it 2 579

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's probably the reason that it's her second marriage and you're still with the same guy.

I think you'll have to accept that your sister is not really selling the marriage thing too well.

Comments

Not sure how old you are but five years isn't that long, especially if you're in your twenties. Have an honest discussion with him about wanting to get married, if that's important to you and he doesn't, maybe you shouldn't be together

PANDORUM89 21

You're comparing your life to someone who has been married twice in less than a decade? I would be more concerned about the fact that your SO REFUSED to propose to you and I'd be having a talk with them to figure out what their reservations are. Don't compare yourself to someone who doesn't even know themselves well enough to stay married once, and then jumped in to another marriage after only a year. Hope this one works out but I'd count myself lucky I wasn't her.

If you would really want to get married, propose to him.

Might be time to "adult up" and come out & have a realistic, honest talk with your boyfriend about if you're ever going to get married or not. Relationships don't thrive on hints.

hoosiergirl94 31

Are you jealous of that or something? I'm really not sure why you would want anything like what she has

I'd say just wait till he's ready. My sister and her boyfriend have been dating for 11 years and still haven't tied the knot, but at least they're comfortable without being married.

So basically you are saying you rather marry into a meaningless marriage that will most likely end up in a divorce just to be the bride for a day? Or would you rather be in a long term relationship like u are now? Anyway if after a 5 year relationship you can still not discuss and find out why your partner does not want to get married, that can mean two things: 1) you two are not so well together as after 5 years two people should be or 2) he is already planning something to propose and he has planned things but he has a special occasion in mind. Or maybe everytime you talk about it ruins it for him. To explain, if you talk about it or give subtle hints and he proposes the next day it would feel as if it comes because of that. It doesnt matter that he might have the ring already for months, if he wants to make sure you are surprised and dont ruin his proposal, everytime you bring it up just means he will add a waiting time to make sure it feels like it is his proposal not something he is nagged or pressured in. Ps at least u get a extra change to gets the flowers at your sis wedding.

What's the rush to get married so quick. Be happy you were able to stay in a committed relationship for 5 years.

AuroIsEmo 15

dont feel bad op, my parents dated for twelve years I believe before he proposed