Relatable

By experience_to_get_experience - 21/09/2015 19:09 - United Kingdom - Bicester

Today, I turned 25. I'm single, still living at home and doing an unpaid internship in an industry I have no interest in, because it was the only accepted application after 6 months of unemployment. The daily 45-minute drive means I'm losing money every week for being "employed" with a PhD. FML
I agree, your life sucks 24 429
You deserved it 3 044

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That sucks! You're 25 with a PhD that's impressive. I'm 25 and still trying to figure out how the toaster works.

I'm sorry things haven't been working out lately, OP. Hopefully you have support from family and friends, and who knows, maybe the connections you make in your internship will somehow help you in the future - even just as references. Best of luck to you!

Comments

Looks like you're getting screwed by the system. FYL indeed

I'm sorry things haven't been working out lately, OP. Hopefully you have support from family and friends, and who knows, maybe the connections you make in your internship will somehow help you in the future - even just as references. Best of luck to you!

Maybe you should think about going to school again for different career if that's possible for you if things don't change soon

The guy has a PhD but nobody will hire him. He's not the problem.

Well, he is the problem. Because he is the only thing that can be changed within his lifetime. He could keep complaining how the world doesn't work the way he'd expect it to for the rest of his life, and it would take him nowhere. Also - having a PhD to me means that he spent, a lot of time studying some field. It doesn't mean that the field is worthwhile, and guarantees employment(I'm looking at you international relations, and philologies). Either way, if he went as far as to get a PhD then I'd expect him to continue his career as an academic. BSc is usually enough to work in field. And finally: 25 is still young. There's no shame in living with your parents at 25, and not having a career. It's today's economy. Especially if you spent your time getting a degree rather than work experience. Many of my friends have the same problems.

"continue as an academic." Yes, because it's that simple! Chances are OP tried to do that and it didn't happen because it is extremely hard to get a job in academia.

Seems, from OP's experience, like it's not so easy on the job market either :D

ShirtlessWonder 17

#32 Are you kidding? Teachers are starting to get big wage increases to keep them around because there's currently a shortage of teachers. I don't know if college professors are having the same thing, but right now a teaching job is definitely not one of the hardest fields to get in to (in the US, anyway).

Holy crap. That is one deep dark hole you find yourself in, OP. Unpaid internship with a PhD? I honestly don't know what I'd do in your situation.

Hopefully things will get better for you!

look on the bright side man, atleast you have a car and a roof above your head, a lot of people can't say the same.

miguel6gh 14

Op with a PHD do consider teaching at a university.

That sucks! You're 25 with a PhD that's impressive. I'm 25 and still trying to figure out how the toaster works.

instructions not clear enough, got dick stuck in toaster coils.

@19 no, no, no. You have to take a bath with it.

Thanks guys I'll try your suggestions out. I'm that much closer to understanding the toaster.

25 with a PhD? I'm here barely going back to school. You'll get everything on track in time. Good luck.

Did you get a PhD in philosophy? In all seriousness, 25 with a doctorate is impressive. Good luck!