Quack quack quack

By mikki_arlert - This FML is from back in 2016 but it's good stuff - Australia - Melbourne

Today, my mother threatened my psychiatrist with legal action because he told her the organic and herbal "medicine" she swears by don't actually "cure" mental illness like she claims. FML
I agree, your life sucks 10 902
You deserved it 771

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Sounds like she's the one that needs a psychiatrist !

So sorry you have to go through that. Ignorance does this.. And especially to people who don't want to learn and remain ignorant. It can be so damaging to one's life. It's insane. If only they knew that "medicine" is just purified "herbs" anyway.

Comments

derpina72 23

I've never heard of of any medicines "curing" mental illnesses. Those who suffer from mental illness, unfortunately suffer their whole lives. Medicines can stop people from having break downs and what-not, but sometimes people build resistance to these meds. Also, you can't just look at things in the biological perspective. The mind is very complex and some mental illnesses are brought on be severe trauma and stress and popping a pill won't make it all simply go away.

You do realize that saying that people that use medications to treat their disorders are "popping a pill" to make it "simply go away" is pretty derogatory to people that literally can't function without their meds? Or worse, take harmful actions toward them self or others when unmedicated?

The mind is very much a biological entity. It's your fault for not being able to understand it as so.

derpina72 23

No. I did not realize that that was a diragotory term, and I apologize for using it. I was saying that mental illness can't be cured with just medication, it requires a mixture of medications and therapy. And I'm aware the brain is a biological entity, but other things are factors in mental illmesses. This is why there is the "Biological perspective", "Psychological perspective", "Behavioral perspective", and other models in the studies of psychology.

derpina72 23

Also, if someone can't function without medication, is that medication curing them or treating them?

As someone with disorders that make me unable to function unless medicated (major depression as one example of my case) I never think of medication as 'curing' my depression- I know I'm stuck on those for life, barring my brain chemistry correcting itself. Other forms of therapy may help treat it, when used in conjunction with medication, but it's not as simple as having a bacterial infection that CAN be cured by taking medication. Which is why I- and others with disorders like mine- have such an issue with the "popping pills" mentality. Some of us have enough issues with knowing we're going to be on medication for life- we don't need people who, bluntly put, haven't lived our lives, adding their pressure and trying to shame or pressure us into stopping the medication that in some cases is the only reason we haven't done serious harm to ourselves, intentionally or by negligence. To make a comparison of how serious it is, you wouldn't tell a cancer patient to stop their chemo or targeted radiation therapy because the cancer could kill them. Depression and other illnesses that required permanent treatment can kill the people living with them too.

derpina72 23

I absolutely understand, and I am most definitely not trying to shame those who take medications to treat a metal illness or tell them not to take their medications. I just know many people who say they feel "foggy", or just not themselves, when they take their medications, and some are looking for alternative treatments.

The grammar on this one is bothering me, I don't usually care but it's either, "medications/ medicines" or , "doesn't".

It's how us Aussies talk. We know the correct grammar but this is just a lot bloody quicker for us to say and is known as, The Aussie Slang Way. Got a problem? We will be in our kangaroos ready to fight ya with the natives' boomerang's

poor grammar irks me, too. I don't necessarily want to fight men and beasts over that shit, however.

Her herbal medicine is pot, right? That's she's been taking regularly for 420 months? Prescribed by Doctor Mary Jane, of the Reefer Medical Clinic.

I doubt this because this kind of "herbal medicine" might actually work. Cannabinoids, the active molecules in pot, have legitimate medical application. This includes cancer pain but also psychological disorders such as PTSD.

My mom was the same way with me, I feel for you :/