On the ball

By angie24w - 19/06/2020 07:55

Today, after an emergency doctor told me to go to the pharmacy to get Zantac for possible stomach ulcers, I was told by the pharmacist that it was actually recalled a year ago. I had to pay almost double the price for another antacid. Thanks a lot for knowing your stuff, ER doctor. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 351
You deserved it 175

Same thing different taste

Top comments

he does. you can still buy over the counter kind

xXPikachuXx 21

It can be caused by the other things too. Not just bacteria. I've been having severe stomach pain so my doctor is setting me up for a stomach scope to see if I have an ulcer. We already did the stool sample so it wouldnt be a bacteria ulcer if it is one.

Comments

he does. you can still buy over the counter kind

No, he doesn't. The stuff in zantac was recalled because the manufacturing process leaves it contaminated with a dangerous carcinogen. It is not even supposed to be on the shelves, generic or not. It was all over the news for months. We even got a note in the mail, because my husband was taking a prescription generic version, warning us to dispose of any we had in the house or return it to a pharmacy for destruction. If your local shops are still selling old bottles of that stuff, they should be reported to your local health department.

You should try a cocktail of thalidomide, DDT and absinthe. Rx...stat!

And in even more "doctors still don't have the memo" news, stomach ulcers are not caused by something that can be treated with antacids. They are almost entirely caused by a bacterium called heliobacter pylori, which needs to be treated with a special course of antibiotics. They are not caused by stress, diet, temperament, or genetics. Antacids may relieve some temporary symptoms, but make things worse in the long run. Treating h. Pylori with antibiotics has dropped the rate of stomach cancer by as much as 99% where it is common practice. This has been a known medical fact since the late 90's, and an emergency room doctor, who has presumably been educated in the last 25 years should have said "try antacids for temporary relief, then get tested and possibly treated for h. Pylori."

xXPikachuXx 21

It can be caused by the other things too. Not just bacteria. I've been having severe stomach pain so my doctor is setting me up for a stomach scope to see if I have an ulcer. We already did the stool sample so it wouldnt be a bacteria ulcer if it is one.

pfmarshallx 7

Pharmacy Technician here, yeah I know it sucks but to be fair, it isn’t in their scope of practice to know what drugs are recalled or not. Pharmacists and pharmacy practice is all about double check effectiveness of prescribed and availability. It’s the Retail Pharmacists and Technicians and Assistants to know, although they, and the public Medicare etc plans, do let us break bad news like that to you. Experienced doctors who see it over and over again (by speciality or common occurrence amongst their pool of patients) May spot it and have the ongoing working knowledge of it, but it isn’t and not really supposed to be their wheelhouse. So not a YDI but neither really a FML.

I don't know about the US, but where I live the medical practitioner is responsible for his own prescription and the pharmacist shouldn't change the prescription without asking it first to the MD. So if it made such a fuss as other comments seem to indicate, he should be aware of it. In this case, though, the system worked since the right drug was (one can hope) given to the patient. I fail to see how the drug being different and twice as expensive would be the doctor's fault, though...

Doctors write the prescription. They should KNOW if a drug has been recalled, if it has a black box warning label on it, and any other contraindications due to the other medications you are on. If they don't know what they are prescribing is recalled or not, they need to leave the practice and go back to class.

Also a pharmacy tech, and can confirm doctors are the last to know about recalls. We spent the first few months refusing scripts for ranitidine after it was recalled and even now will still occasionally have patients ask about the over the counter stuff. But we have a system set up with the databases to let us know about recalls. Doctors typically don't. Also, ulcers aren't just cause by bacteria. They absolutely can be cause by stress and diet. I have stressed induced ulcers and have since jr high. It's checked every few years and it's still concluded they're caused by stressed. My mom had stress ulcers as well.

Doctors don't know everything. It is up to you to research anything you put into your body...

Good RX is a great way to save $ on prescriptions.