Oh no…

By StarWarsGeek - This FML is from back in 2013 but it's good stuff - United States

Today, I met a fellow Star Wars fan. We began enthusiastically talking about how almost no one our age knows the good old classics anymore. I was referring to the original trilogy; she was talking about the ones with Jar Jar Binks. FML
I agree, your life sucks 43 147
You deserved it 7 345

Top comments

This is not the fan you're looking for...

Another star wars FML.. Bit arrogant remark too.. "No one our age knows good classics anymore". I too like older and alternative movies and music, but I'm not going to comment on how "Bieber sucks" etc. Everyone can like what they want, it's all good. Mainstream is not necessarily body

Comments

Lil_Red777 21

This has nothing to do with star trek. Now go sit in a corner and think about what you just said.

People like what they like. Why is your taste in movies more valued than hers?

perdix 29

#32, because she's the OP. The Jar Jar fan probably doesn't even have an FML account, so their opinion on anything is not worth taking seriously.

Well, I prefer Sammy Hagar over Lee Roth. Adding this comment to continue my thumbs down pattern. :P

perdix 29

C'mon!!! DLR put VH on the map -- Sammy Hagar just helped them drive on down the road at 55 mph. Poor David Lee! You can tell he's desperate -- have you seen his new video, "Just a Juggalo?" It's ugly.

perdix 29

Reminds me of some of the die-hard "fans" that call it "Star Track!"

Sure, those films weren't great, I agree, but is it that wrong of her to like them? Different people, different opinions.

CallMeMcFeelii 13

They're probably better than what Disney is about to do to that franchise..

I won't judge before having seen it, but yeah, I don't have high hopes for it. We'll see.

RedPillSucks 31

Well, to be honest, she was talking about the "classics". The first 3 were released in the late seventies. You can't really count the last 3 as classics as they're too new.

Honestly, I don't think Disney can do any worse. Besides, they can do dark-ish adult entertainment. Look at the first couple of Pirates movies.

Anyone here seen Disney's "Black Cauldron"? Very dark stuff right there...

Lil_Red777 21

That doesn't even make any sense. Damn trolls.

I understand where you are coming from but you have to give her some credit. Maybe she assumed you were just talking about Star Wars in general versus specific trilogies. Because not many people "our age" appreciate Star Wars at all, whether it be the new or old ones

JMichael 25

Hey at least she knows what Star Wars is!

StompinOnCrayons 15

The same fandom is better than different fandom, like is she said "I cried when Harry learnt he was a wizard"

mommykrissy_05 7

The problem here is not that the person op was talking to likes star wars 1-3 it is that this person thinks they are classics... I like all 6 star wars but 1-3 are not classic! 4-6 are classic! Although all 6 are great!

Yeah, I get your point. OP does sound pretty elitist and like "only one kind of fandom is the best". On the other hand, I do sort of get part of why this would be annoying. For example, with Doctor Who, I would by no means be annoyed if somebody said their favourite Doctor was Matt Smith (not my own preference but people have their own opinions), but I would be annoyed if they then started judging people for (eg) not knowing about earlier episodes from the recent series while not knowing a thing about the Classic series. And it sounds like the girl the OP was talking to was judging people for not knowing about Star Wars which was kind of hypocritical when (it sounds like) she hadn't seen all of the films in the first place. So OP sounds kind of jerky for judging those who don't know agree on every little thing about the fandom, whereas the girl sounds also sort of jerky for the same reason, but also hypocritical because she didn't know those things herself.