No excuses

By Allergic to Assholes - 30/01/2016 09:33 - United States - Indianapolis

Today, I got in trouble with my boss for not showing up to work yesterday. It seems going into anaphylactic shock isn't a valid excuse. FML
I agree, your life sucks 22 398
You deserved it 1 349

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If they try to penalize you for it file a complaint with the company.

Can't you report him to the higher ups?

Comments

ghostriley 14

I guess your boss goes by the slogan you can rest when you die

clickme 17

It's more than likely just the final straw. In the last 4 weeks how many 'illnesses' have you had? Flat tires? 'My back's out'? I have managed a lot of people and the people who rarely make a full week are always the ones to complain they were let go over some single minor incident

Or it could be like my boss where I am always expected to cover people off when they are sick but I I have 1 sick day in a year I get chewed out.

Id personally turn into Dr Manhattan and beam him out of existence. My only higher up is the chairman of the board. So I can't really do anything at all. That totally sucks though.

There's always labor and industries. Op it's being penalized for a medical emergency. That's like being fired for getting into a collision and hospitalized on your way to work. It just don't make sense.

If you had actual proof of the episode (Dr note, er papers etc) then there is no reason to hold it against you an may very well be some sort of violation. IF however you are simply expecting them to take your word for it then you are seriously ignorant.

You weren't in anaphylactic shock all day. While it can be fatal untreated, the doctor usually prescribes an injection of epinephrine. I have no idea whether you had your shot with you (most likely you did or were in very close distance of one or we wouldn't be talking to you) but even if you called in five hours late at least you still would've called. Your manager's reaction and discourse were basic procedure anywhere you go. A person with asthma, for example, just doesn't get a free day off because they had an attack. They have an inhaler that they are expected to take with them wherever they go. Same deal.

You're assuming an awful lot. I have a friend with a severe nut allergy and she is dips in and out of anaphylactic shock for a week at least. Considering that the initial reaction is her throat swelling shut, i have no doubt that op had better things to think about that their boss's stupidity. Remember, if there's no life threatening reaction, then it's not anaphylactic shock, it's just an allergic reaction.

Of course if you let the manager know and he still didn't care I would go to HR on him. This post was written a little too vague to tell.

BeenIt 5

Don't sweat it. You boss is probably too dumb to understand what it is. Anyone who truly knkws what anaphylactic shock is, knows it's deathly serious!!

BloodyGlass 10

Did he sing a different tune when you told the higher ups and they tore him a new one? :)

Next time hopefully it'll happen on the job. Hello paid time off.