Nice neighborhood

By Michaelichael - 28/03/2009 20:17 - United States

Today, I was mowing the lawn of my brand new house, located in a very nice neighborhood, when a lady in her nice white cadillac drove up and asked me, in extremely broken Spanish, if I could mow her lawn too. I'm a hispanic guy. FML
I agree, your life sucks 148 479
You deserved it 11 704

Same thing different taste

Top comments

corey_kelly 0

i hate racism and stereotypes

Naples 0

You should have said yes and then wrote "**** You" across her lane with the lawn mower.

Comments

hey in my opinion you should mowed her lawn charged her alot and den after u got the money invite her to a party at your house.....and den tell everyone the this story....lmao

john6391 0

You definitely should have played along

xomartyox22 0

thats funny, your mexican so u deserve it!

It doesn't mean she assumed he was a lawnboy, she could have actually wanted her lawn mowed. I've asked neighbourhood boys to mow the lawn when I've been too busy too sometimes. I give them money for it. And in a nice neighbourhood, it isn't acceptable to let your lawn grow too long, so she couldn't have just done it later.

As a latino myself, I have to say, she isn't being racist. Being racist is one thing. Being dumb, on the other hand, is another. Just because she made a stupid assumption doesn't mean she's racist. Yes, considering the circumstances, it sounds like it would be racist, but I really doubt she meant it in the racist way. If she meant it to be racist, it would probably be unmistakable. As for the Spanish, that could also go several ways, but again, I doubt it's racist. There's people that take Spanish classes for 2 years in high school and assume that it gives them total mastery and control over the language, and while that's annoying, it's not racist. And again, going back to the assumptions, she might have just (stupidly, again) assumed that OP couldn't speak English and tried to communicate with him. Obviously, the message got across, so it couldn't have been terrible. If it were me, I'd let her know that some people actually mow the lawns of their own houses and just go right back to work.

Wow that sucks. Maybe she wasnt being racist though, if it's a nice neighbordhood she might have just assumed that someone wouldnt be mowing their own lawn and thought you were hired for that reason. It was rude of her to start speaking in Spanish though without trying English first, just because someone's Hispanic doesn;t mean they don;'t know English!

Ender_ 0

#49 - Thank you for your insightful comment. It's much appreciated here when we have people that throw the word racist out at every little thing in life.

The same thing happened to Richard Pryor. He enjoyed yard work and always tended his own lawn. One day a white woman in a large car stopped and asked if he'd work for her, Richard said yes but that the lady that lived in the house where he was currently doing yard work let him sleep with her. The woman in the car left a trail of rubber all the way to the street.

SVelasquez 0

#47 - What in the ******* hell is wrong with you? Just because somebody is Hispanic doesn't mean he or she is Mexican, dumbass. I'm Hispanic and I'm from Chile. Did you stop and think that maybe, just MAYBE there are more Spanish-speaking countries other than Mexico? Like almost the entire continent of South America (minus Brazil and a few countries at the very top)? Dude, ******* think before you type. You look like a dumbass and it pisses a lotta people off.