My boy

By NeverEscaping - 03/02/2013 00:52 - Canada - Edmonton

Today, I decided at age 18 that it's time to put into storage the picture books that have been collecting dust in my room for nearly a decade. My mother took this as a sign that I'm planning to move out and abandon her forever, and has been crying for the last four hours. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 066
You deserved it 2 925

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Well. It is your mommy. All mommies are like that! You just gotta talk to her and comfort her that you're not moving out yet! Tell her you love her!

KM96 24

At least it's a sign that she does love you and will miss you, when you do leave eventually

Comments

I know how sad I was when my little one left home at 18. Too proud to accept our help she often went hungry but now, six years later she's doing very well for herself as a beautician in an upscale shop in Bellingham, Washington, making twice the money we do combined. The only thing that hasn't changed is we still miss her desperately. Just tell your mom you gotta live your life but you will always love her.

mimiminx 23

You were still reading picture books at the age of 8? :/

He weaned himself off picture books by the age of eight.

I'm 18 and live at college most of the time now, and I hate it when my mum gets all sad about me going back to college, and starts talking about how she misses when I was a little girl. So whether you are or aren't moving out in the near future, I feel for you.

ulissey_fml 22

Well, I'm a mom who put my teen daughter's children books into 3 big boxes to store in the attic. She went to check what was in them.Half of the books are back. I thought she would hide them when her boyfriend visits. Now the two of them coo over bright yellow chicks and pop-up books. She's quite mature for her age and an A student, she watches "skins" (in English), so I don't overworry about her growing up and leaving home eventually. I'll pack them again some day, but i'll make sure I don't give any of them away, unless she tells me too.

Epikouros 31

Don't go to college. Join the military, so she can't call you every day.

I left home at 16, i really don´t know how people stand to stay longer...

Some people don't have much of a choice.

And some ppl are friends with there parents

I was raised by my grandmother, but she's my best friend. When I moved out at 19 I was just as sad to leave her as she was. I moved out only because I didn't want her to have to financially support me. So even though it was hard on me to work full time and go to school, it was worth it to make her proud.

It's not ready to move out as people make it seem. I have two jobs and go to school full time but can't move out unless I mooched off the system, which I won't do. Get off your high horse.

High horse? was i accusing people of something or saying i am better? no i was stated that i was wondering how people could stand not living for themselves for that long, You people should get off your high horses and stop taking everything so personal.

Take it as a compliment. I've been teary a couple of times recently about child #1 leaving for college this week (Australia -diff term dates) but feeling pretty good about douchepickle child #2 leaving one day. Sick of his tantrums. Jury's out on #3.

Thumbs up for using "douchepickle". Gave me the giggles.

TabooSushi 24

Douchepickle! Oh my god, you just made me giggle madly for about five minutes lol! Thumbs up for that word!

Moms normally love their children. And it's good. But crying for four (4) hours is rather too much. Talking to her won't solve the problem!

What would then be your solution? Sure if she's very deranged talk to her with a therapist. But you could at least try to talk some sense into her, I mean a therapist is expensive and seems a bit extreme.

perdix 29

#43, and while #42 is at the therapist, ask him why he has to put a numeral in parentheses after he writes the word for the number. That's ****** up!

#49: It's to emphasize the number written in words.

perdix 29

#61, I understand that, but I'm concerned about the context in which you used this construct. This is not a contract or a lease or a warranty -- this is an FML comment. Are we going to start to add disclaimers to each comment now?

#61: you don't know what "emphasize" means. It's easy: google it.

perdix 29

Would you move into a house? Would you move in with a mouse? Would you move into a trailer? Would you move in with a sailor? Would you, would you, Som-I-Om? Would you ditch your sweet, fat mom?