Menace to society

By scared - 04/08/2014 00:47 - Canada

Today, my elderly mother explained that, "I don't need my glasses to drive, I just need them to see." FML
I agree, your life sucks 40 101
You deserved it 3 069

Same thing different taste

Top comments

A07 48

Time to hide away her car keys, or her car itself, depending on how old she is.

A07 48

I would totally hide the car, hasn't Breaking Bad taught you anything?

Comments

If she has only a light Presbyopia, I guess it's better for her to drive without glasses...

Actually, I understand what OP's mother means. I'm nearsighted but don't require glasses to drive. I can't read signs until I'm about to pass them, and can't read license plates until I'm nearly up the other car's tailpipe or just behind them at a red light. But I can identify these things as objects from a distance, so I may not be able to tell exactly what kind of car it is from far away sedan or cop car, van or SUV, trucks are easy; but I can identify that they are cars and I should hit them. And I understand road paws well enough that I can recognize patterns, I can even guesstimate on what the speed limit is of a road I'm not familiar with based on location and the speed limits if nearby roads (I'm usually right, or 5 mph off).

I understand the license plate bit...but I'm pretty sure you need to read signs before you're just about to pass them. That's kind of the point of signs - giving you information so you can make decisions about whatever's coming up a safe distance before they come up.

I'm in the same boat as #48 but I know all the signs and I can see them enough to know what they are even if i cannot read them. I technically don't need my glasses, but I choose to wear them, mainly for being able to read the plate of the idiot that inevitably almost hits me on my daily commute.

Actually, she's technically right... I can't see a foot in front of me without my glasses, but the DMV said I passed my vision test and don't need them to drive.

I have mild, age-relatedy presbyopia. Some mild drugstore-type reading glasses help with things like books and newspapers and computer screens, but I can pass the eye test at the RMV just fine without them, and did just that last time I went to renew my license.

Maybe she should go to contacts? She'll forget the are in

ever heard of far sightedness? you're going to kill her.

Maybe she was being a smart ass? She is technically correct, she doesnt need them to literally drive but she needs them to see the road signs and other cars.

Not sure if incredibly profound or just sad...