Make it stop

By SpookyOne - 04/06/2022 16:00

Today, the grocery store next door has decided to renovate and put their bottle disposal machine right underneath my bedroom. Once it's full, usually right before closing at 10pm., the machine starts beeping non-stop. I'm already diagnosed with a bunch of sleep disorders, but good night I guess… FML
I agree, your life sucks 923
You deserved it 83

Same thing different taste

Top comments

This has “private nuisance suit” written all over it. Take pictures and videos and call a lawyer.

go to the owners and tell them about that and keeping you up at night like an alarm going off just ask them nicely to shut it off

Comments

go to the owners and tell them about that and keeping you up at night like an alarm going off just ask them nicely to shut it off

This has “private nuisance suit” written all over it. Take pictures and videos and call a lawyer.

Have you thought about unplugging the machine? Or use an Alexa plug control to remotely turn the machine off at night. Better yet you can program the Alexa plug for a on and off time.

Get a job on the night shift at the store, so you work while the bottle machine does its thing. Then you can sleep when it's not making noise. That was easy.

Have a polite talk with the manager who works the last shift at the grocery store. There's no reason he or she shouldn't be willing to run the compactor earlier in the night, and the additional bottles that accumulate later that night would just be crushed the next time it ran. Or maybe even not run it at all, and have it be one of the tasks for the morning opening crew (although then you need to worry about being woken up early). Most people are not psychopaths, and unless there's a compelling reason that it needs to be done at exactly that time, and as long as you're friendly and polite, there's no reason not to expect them to accommodate you.

Yeah this is a case of 'use your words' (or if you're a minor living with your parents, ask them to use their words). Just say, "Hey it gets full just before/at closing, any chance you can empty it mid day/before closing/more frequently, because otherwise it beeps all night!"

kitten79TX 5

You could potentially have a legal case. Talk to an attorney about the store infringing on your right to quiet enjoyment.