Know your place

By Anonymous - 06/12/2014 18:23 - United States

Today, I asked my boss for a raise. I pointed out that due to a technicality, if he hired someone to replace me, he'd have to pay them more anyway. He said he'd gladly pay more for "someone who knows his goddamn place" and made it clear I'll be jobless very soon. FML
I agree, your life sucks 32 465
You deserved it 9 047

Same thing different taste

Top comments

PANDORUM89 21

Well putting it that way probably wasn't the best plan. Maybe you should've highlighted your worth to the company rather than whatever the hell you said.

Why would you point out that he'd have to pay more anyway if he hired someone else? You're pretty much arrogantly demanding for a raise because that's his only option anyway, not asking. Next time you ask for a raise, back it up by pointing out how your previous and current contributions to the company have made you a valuable asset to the company.

Comments

I could never work up the courage to ask for a raise. What you are hired at is what you're hired at. I'm too afraid of jepordizing the future by looking annoying. But then again, if you are ELIGIBLE for a raise I guess there's not too much harm in asking.

That's kind of the point of "right to work": make the wage slaves too scared of losing their pittance to ask for a living wage.

You should hurry and start looking for a new job now. Companies love hiring when you already have a job. Also, if you get an offer for higher pay, you can really make your boss look dumb.

Comment moderated for rule-breaking.

Show it anyway
PresidentNorth 16

He clearly said he'd paid more to someone who'd be a bitch. Welcome to America where half the country can't read properly.

Welcome the United States of America where reading comprehension is becoming a rare skill.

Why would you point out that he'd have to pay more anyway if he hired someone else? You're pretty much arrogantly demanding for a raise because that's his only option anyway, not asking. Next time you ask for a raise, back it up by pointing out how your previous and current contributions to the company have made you a valuable asset to the company.

Forget him find a job were you're actually appreciated.

YDI if that's the only reason you could think of for him to give you a raise.

skittyskatbrat 19

His choice, then. He's going to have to find and train someone during the holidays. Happy job hunting, and may you find one with more respect and a better paycheck.

You probably shouldn't have said anything about hiring another person.

Maybe you shoukd of asked them to look back the past 6 months and have shown improvement. earlier than a yearly look back sometimes it can work.