Insurance is a scam

By Zanquis - 30/12/2016 19:04

Today, I got stuck with a water-damaged kitchen. The manufacturer says their warranty doesn't cover it as it's a user error, my insurance says they don't cover it as it's a manufacturer error. FML
I agree, your life sucks 3 152
You deserved it 212

Same thing different taste

Top comments

If the machine that caused the flooding/water damage was used following the instructions, and is within warranty, they are obligated to fix it or replace it with a new machine of the same or similar type. As to your insurance, I'm pretty sure that if you have insurance for water damage, they are also obligated to fix the resulting damage, unless your insurance plan only covers damage done by natural disasters. I suggest going through your insurance handbook and see what your policy covers. Either way, one of them HAS to pay for something. If the manufacturer won't cover it because it's "user error" and your insurance covers accidents, you can and should be able to use the manufacturer's statement to get your insurance to cover it, if you can get a written report on the cause.

1. Cover kitchen in rice. 2. Let dry for 24 hours. 3. Press and hold top right button to try and reboot kitchen. Worked wonders for my iPod.

Comments

You know the saying. "They're ok with taking your money, just not giving it back" Hopefully you get it resolved, OP

1. Cover kitchen in rice. 2. Let dry for 24 hours. 3. Press and hold top right button to try and reboot kitchen. Worked wonders for my iPod.

I got 2 big bag of rice from the toko but i am having trouble finding the button to reboot.

If the machine that caused the flooding/water damage was used following the instructions, and is within warranty, they are obligated to fix it or replace it with a new machine of the same or similar type. As to your insurance, I'm pretty sure that if you have insurance for water damage, they are also obligated to fix the resulting damage, unless your insurance plan only covers damage done by natural disasters. I suggest going through your insurance handbook and see what your policy covers. Either way, one of them HAS to pay for something. If the manufacturer won't cover it because it's "user error" and your insurance covers accidents, you can and should be able to use the manufacturer's statement to get your insurance to cover it, if you can get a written report on the cause.

OP here, it wasn't damage from the machine but water is soaked in every panel of the kitchen. They say the damage comes from... Cleaning. Yup the manufactor says we are cleaning the kitchen too wet. The insurance company only pays when it is a accident but not since the manufactor installed a kitchen that can't handle water from cleaning. My wife has worked for years cleaning peoples houses to make extra money during her studies and never had a problem, we lived in a appartment with a cheap kitchen and it was fine also but we build a new house and moved in it a few years ago and installed a expensive kitchen and we get this crap.

Ouch. I'm sorry that you got shafted by the company that did your kitchen. The only other thing I can suggest is leaving a very angry review on any and every site that reviews home improvement companies. It might not fix the problem, but it might make you feel better. I'm not 100% sure what sort of panel your using, but if they aren't warped too badly and are made of wood, you might be able to salvage them if you've got a decent understanding of how improvement. Take them down, put them somewhere to air dry (if you have a standing fan, placing it so the air is blowing on the panels and turning them every so often is probably the fastest way), once they are dry, you can sand them down, then stain them or paint them with a water resistant material. This is probably the cheapest way to do it, since replacing it probably isn't on the table right now. You might want to double check that you don't have any pipes that are leaking, because the amount of water damage you are describing is highly unlikely to occur from cleaning.

In this situation what you should do is get the statement from the manufacturer and show it to the insurance. Insurance is more likely to pay if you have that statement

Your insurance should pay in any case. If the insurance thinks the manufacturer should be responsible, the insurance should sue the manufacturer on your behalf. That's the purpose of insurance.

Make your insurance department take it up with the manufacturer?

3yellowzebras 19

Call both insurer and manufacturer and make them argue with each other till one pays out?

Sounds like you've got two companies that don't want to pay up.