He studied the blade

By Ryoichi - 17/09/2015 11:13 - Germany

Today, it was my dad's retirement. He is traditional Japanese, so I had custom-ordered a samurai sword from a traditional Japanese blacksmith with dad's name engraved on the blade in kanji script. He loved it, right up til my drunk cousin tried to use it to cut down a tree and snapped it in two. FML
I agree, your life sucks 29 943
You deserved it 1 658

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Maybe you should swing the cousin at a tree and see if he breaks..? Seriously though, make him repay you, and then some.

sounds like your cousin needs a sword to the face. sorry OP :( at least your dad loved his gift

Comments

A katana can't break that easily. I'm sorry to say this, but I think you might have been ripped off

Actually it can. In comparison to other swords, katanas, especially katanas made traditionally with folded steel, are fairly fragile. If used correctly they will last, but used incorrectly (such as by a drunken idiot trying to chop down a tree) they can definitely shatter. Katanas are meant to be used to make precise cuts to vital organs, not crudely hacked like a machete.

I loved the Highlander movies/series, but that was one of the things they got wrong. Neither of the MacLeods would have survived a battle against someone with a broadsword, their katana would shatter from the force.

Ruskiy_Cherep 18

Mustve not been that great of a blacksmith. Or your cousin picked a tree too big. Either way a well smithed sword shouldnt break easily

Katanas are actually fragile. They're meant for more precise strikes (like hitting and oragan). Not being swung (probably full force) into most likely into a thick tree by and by a drunken idiot.

thatonetribute 31

I hope you shanked your drunk cousin.

ourtneyc 14

I would sue him, that is just not right and there is no excuse for his stupidity

You would sue? You would SUE your own family for a dumb drunken mistake? What a petty human being you are. I'd most definitely make the cousin replace it, even if it's a younger cousin that had to mow my lawn for years to cover expenses because he's still in college. But sue him? Really.

#57, I think depending on how OP's cousin responds to being asked to pay for it being repaired/replaced, suing for damages is probably a good idea. Since OP had it made traditionally, personally inscribed, and made by a professional blacksmith it's safe to assume the Katana cost upwards of at least $1,000; most likely more.

ourtneyc 14

yeah that's what I meant, if he feels like he isn't responsible and won't pay then it's best to sue

DA3Z 16

Hopefully it didn't break immediately the first time it was swung, Japanese blades are known to slice through 6" of solid bamboo in a single swing and be pretty durable. Sorry OP, best gift ever though!

Bamboo hollow. Trees not so much. Contain more tree. Factor in going against the grain of a solid trunk. Physics wins every time damn it

You must not know the difference between bamboo and a tree.

He has brought shame upon your family. The only honorable thing to do now is have him kill himself with the very sword he broke.

Give you cousin this ultimatum: 1. You have disgraced the family. You must commit Seppuku! or 2. You have made me angry. You're paying for the replacement sword.

SailorSolaris 43

To my knowledge, it is possible to have it repaired. Maybe the blacksmith can fix it?

HighasaCloud 46

Why does this have downvotes? Forge-welding exists, people.

it shouldn't have broken if it was properly made. But any way it really sucks that's what happened

Katana are not made for hitting solid wood- bamboo can be sliced because it is hollow, but using even a good quality katana on bamboo would damage the blade over time, even if the sword was being used with the correct motions. The cousin is the one at fault here, not the blacksmith.

is it possible for traditional samurai sword to break that easily? or you just had a cheap blacksmith?

Katana's aren't meant for heavy blows (especially against a tree). They are meant more for along the lines of slashing and piercing organs.