Guilt trip

By annoyed - 11/05/2016 11:40 - Netherlands - Maastricht

Today, I sent my boyfriend a sweet text message, since he recently complained that I'm rarely romantic. Instead of being happy, he decided that since it's so out of character for me, I must be cheating on him and must have only sent it out of guilt. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 033
You deserved it 1 424

Same thing different taste

Top comments

justcommenting19 19

While dumping may not be a good choice to run to right away, I do think you should have a serious talk with him, OP. Tell him that you took his words to heart and tried to make an effort to change. If he doesn't apologize after that then you've got problems. But honestly, sitting him down and talking it through should help significantly.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Talk it out OP, he's probably just insecure.

Comments

You probably did cheat on him and are now on here trying to get sympathy.

Seems like he's insecure with jealousy thrown in. If you have not cheated,you deserve better than this guy. Relationships are all about trust and it sounds like something he doesn't have with you.

I actually think that you, not beeing romantic normally, kinda' got him in a routine. ... he knows the way you are ... and after a while, if you try it, it seems strange to him. I've been there. The advice i can give you is : Try to be a little more romantic to him day by day. .. becouse you need to "teach" him that you can do that too .... and in a little time he'll get the point and it will not seem strange to him anymore. That is... if he really loves you and cares about you, but that its another story. Wish u all the best.

This so much. My boyfriend and I started off as FWB before we became a "real couple." It freaked me out when he started doing affectionate things outside of sex at first. I didn't think he was cheating but it caught me by surprise. Ease into it is the best way to go.

Pretty sure that's what OP was trying to do.

Many people failed to realize that "jealousy" and "insecurity" is not a one sided problem. What causes him to be insecure? The way he thinks? Or perhaps the things you do on a daily basis? Your little actions? While he should try to appreciate your initiative (a whole another issue), you should not unjustly title him as an "insecure guy" like what everyone is saying. If only we can start understanding someone supposedly closest to you rather than labeling them, the world will be a warmer place to live in.

Maybe... Just maybe... If you didn't say it over text...

Sounds like he's the one who's been cheating. Cheaters tend to project their own guilt onto the person they are betraying. Hope that's not the case and he's just a block-head who needs to have it explained to him that you are making an effort to meet his emotional needs.

Definitely point out you were trying to change because of his suggestion. He may just have not put 2 and 2 together (actually seems to have put 2 and 2 together and got 5...).