Gooooooooooal!

By Anonymous - This FML is from back in 2013 but it's good stuff - United States - Portland

Today, I finally scored a goal in a soccer game. Too bad it was in our own net. FML
I agree, your life sucks 30 940
You deserved it 38 828

Same thing different taste

Top comments

When I made my first basket it was in the other teams basket. I was so embarrassed I cried. The refs gave them a point for it. That was the one point they beat us by...

Heads up OP. A goal is a goal! While you sit on the bench for the next few games you can see how it should be done. Just tell your coach you were trying to confuse the other team by working your way from the back up. Good luck.

Comments

Someone tell me why this is even on FML in the first place? But yeah, other people have made the same mistake.

Don't worry, man! We all make mistakes. By the way, I used to play soccer some years ago, and I was a defender. I scored some own goals (I was not a good player). And there was a famous player from Palmeiras (a big soccer team from Brazil), he was called Oséas. He scored an own goal against Corinthians, Palmeiras' biggest rivals. But he redeemed himself later, scoring goals in two very important championship finals (1998 Brazilian Cup snd 1999 Libertadores Cup). I'm pretty sure you'll do like him and score many importsnt goals. Good luck, OP :-)

Wizardo 33

Yep YDI for calling the sport soccer, its only the universe rebalancing itself.

Actually it was the British who invented the word soccer and the sport was called soccer for about 20 years before middle and lower class British began to call it football. So actually soccer is just a more sophisticated and classy way of saying it.

In fact the sport was called "association football" that was shortened and nicknamed to "soccer" so soccer is university slang. And as "soccer" was mainly used by the aristocracy, i would say snobbish instead of classy.

Wizardo 33

Also the British invented baseball a full 35 years before it was even introduced to America. The only place in the world where football is called soccer is the Americas and maybe heavily influenced countries like Australia, but seriously the rest of the world uses football, left hand drive and the metric system...

#39. Actually it is only England, Ireland, and Scotland that drive in the left hand side. The rest of the world drives in the right. And so what if North America calls football "soccer". In North America there is American football, so to have two different sports called the same thing would be confusing. Therefore we call it soccer and football.

#39 Australia call it soccer because they have their own type of football which they call Aussie Rules, it's not because they're 'influenced'. It's different from American football.

Wizardo 33

Let me explain the names to you, in England (and pretty much most of the damn world) Football = Soccer, Rugby = 'American Football' and I'm pretty sure Aussie rules are the same everywhere and that includes football and rugby -.-

No 57 let me explain it to you: Aussie rules is a totally separate sport, which is what they refer to as football, and that's why they call association football soccer. I was not suggesting that Australians play football and rugby but with a different set of rules, we play them at rugby all the time and have a few players from their 'soccer' leagues play in our premier league and vice versa. And rugby is a completely different sport than American football with different rules, please google them all if you don't want to take my word for it!

Only thing similar between rugby and American football is that the ball looks slightly similar and there us a big goal post that looks a little similar. It's like saying cricket and baseball are the same sport.

Only thing similar between rugby and American football is that the ball looks slightly similar and there us a big goal post that looks a little similar. Saying they are the same is like saying cricket and baseball are the same sport or that golf and crochet are similar.

Whatever you do OP, do not think of Andrés Escobar, the Colombian player who got murdered after scoring an own goal at the '94 World Cup.

Aw keep trying..not sure how you managed that but..yeah I don't know

Well, OP, one way to look at it is that your soccer career can't get any worse!! Seriously, pay better attention next time and score in the goal you're supposed to- you'll feel better about yourself and your team will hate you less!!

Chellybelly92 14

I remember a shot hit the cross bar bounced off my head, and right into our net. Probably one of the worst feelings you can have. Sometimes you can't help it.

Keep on trying, I'm sure you'll get better!

perdix 29

You should defect to the other team and play like you scored the goal on purpose as a double-agent. Change your incompetence into intrigue.