Good night

By iwearsilkgownstoeatwaffles - 12/08/2013 14:30 - United States - Mabank

Today, my 26-year-old boyfriend came to my apartment to spend the night for the first time. He brought a "blankie" that he insisted was the only thing that could help him sleep. That "blankie" was his ex-girlfriend's silk nightgown. FML
I agree, your life sucks 58 419
You deserved it 4 437

Same thing different taste

Top comments

CallMeWindSock 24

Well give him a reason to get rid of it!

Comments

hcollins1 18

Because breaking off a relationship is the answer to everything, even something as small as this that can easily be worked out. These 'dump his/her ass' comments are old and very annoying.

Yes, why would anyone these days actually try to talk situations out? Lets just automatically call off the relationship.

The minds of people too immature to be in a relationship and who think that dumping someone for the slightest thing annoys me.

You don't just stop loving someone when you break up with them. He might be used to sleeping with it and not realize how offensive it is to Op. She should talk it out with him.

She should not talk it out. She should run like hell. I can't believe this comment got buried. This is not a slight thing. This is batshit crazy and pretty stupid.

Well, I'm pretty sure ''batshit crazy'' is exaggerating it, for one. Also if this is ''pretty stupid'', then I'm sure OP and her boyfriend will be able to talk it out and figure out the best thing to do about this, without instantly jumping ship at the first sign of trouble.

Maybe I exaggerated a little. It is pretty sketchy though and is pretty troublesome. I would absolutely run like hell. I would not want to deal with someone that was not over an ex. Suppose she comes back. Does he leave and go running back to her? Lots of questions here. So many that I wouldn't want to deal with them.

tehdarkness 21

I'd run like hell! People waste their time with attachment... If it was real love for him he wouldn't need that. Totally ****** up.

Aaaaand the comment we've been looking for!

#86, it is not the fact that he likes sleeping with the nightgown that 'offends' OP (although that is extremely creepy just in and of itself) - OP's boyfriend is CLEARLY not over his ex. A guy - or girl - who still has feelings for their ex - to the extent where they're keeping the ex's personal items close on a daily basis - is not just 'any reason to break up', it's a beyond reasonable dealbreaker. You may be able to get him to stop sleeping with the nightgown, but you won't be able to change the fact that he still cares deeply about his ex. That is something you absolutely can NOT just sit down and 'talk somebody out of'. Time will eventually fix it, but it is unfair to ask OP to wait around for her bf to get over his ex or for his ex to maybe show up and whisk him away. That is just setting yourself up for avoidable pain. It is OP's boyfriend who is not clearly not ready for a serious relationship (and may not be for some time), and there is no way to reach any kind of compromise around that. Sometimes you have to recognise when things are not fixable, at least not by you. You sound very naive, but with good intentions - I hope you don't get hurt in love.

we live in a throw-away culture where kids are taught to get a new one instead of fixing what they already have..

yankeesfancg 13

At least he's not wearing it to bed

imtooshy 18

Not sure how long you two have been dating but I'd be asking him if he's really ready for this relationship as it sounds like he's not over the last one yet. Good luck OP.

RedPillSucks 31

The 3rd option is always the most ****** up. He's been wearing his ex girlfriends nightie to bed.

abbruzzi67 15

Why don't you give him some lingerie for him to call his "blankie"

Do you know how expensive that shit is?

perdix 29

Be thankful it wasn't his ex-girlfriend? That woulda been awkward.

RedPillSucks 31

Unless it worked, then it would have been awesome!!!!

summerguy97 16

You should give him something better...