Give me something, anything!

By Anonymous - 13/02/2024 14:00 - United Kingdom

Today, I was hired as an aide to a manager. He only works 2 hours a day, so I only work for 2 hours. The other 8 hours of my day I'm bored because I’m not allowed to go home, watch YouTube, browse Facebook, or read a book, so I just sit at my desk, earning £0.17 over minimum wage, to stare at a wall. FML
I agree, your life sucks 515
You deserved it 138

Same thing different taste

Top comments

OP, the "good" news is that someone who only works two hours a day won't last so your situation is temporary... As your manager's assistant, you really ought to be able to find productive work to do the remaining 6 hours a work day. If you don't, between your manager being an idiot and you wasting time, you're not going to last that long. I advise you to immediately look for another job, then when you find it take that job and quit this soul destroying routine.

if he's not there then who's stopping you? if you earn minimum wage then how is this better than literally any other job? just do it anyway and if you get fired then start working tomorrow for minimum wage somewhere else

Comments

OP, the "good" news is that someone who only works two hours a day won't last so your situation is temporary... As your manager's assistant, you really ought to be able to find productive work to do the remaining 6 hours a work day. If you don't, between your manager being an idiot and you wasting time, you're not going to last that long. I advise you to immediately look for another job, then when you find it take that job and quit this soul destroying routine.

if he's not there then who's stopping you? if you earn minimum wage then how is this better than literally any other job? just do it anyway and if you get fired then start working tomorrow for minimum wage somewhere else

Be advised that using an employer's computer or even their WIFI, it is likely that computer use is monitored by work. Screwing off 3/4 of every day will be noted and is likely something you can get fired for. If OP is going to waste time they better use their personal smart phone operating over their own carrier... It's reasonable to take a few breaks during the work day when things are slow. But 6 hours out of ever 8 is a huge red flag. Even more serious is getting into the habit of wasting 3/4 of every day. That will keep OP from having a successful career. And getting fired is something that people check references for. Being laid off because there is insufficient work is not something that penalizes your career. But being fired for cause is a bad mark on your employment history. Unless OP's manager is the owner, ultimately OP's boss is likely to eventually be let go. Two hours of work a day is a joke and this situation won't last. Even managers have to answer to their boss.

they don't need to know you were fired, 99% of all jobs don't have background checks and even the ones that do don't ask why you left just why you were unemployed. anyway if you get paid minimum wage you are not at a career you are at an easily easily easily replaceable job. honestly you sound like you lick a lot of boots

Tough one. On one hand, you aren't being abused, it's not customer facing and your boss isn't trying to hump your leg. On the other, that's gotta be mind numbing as hell. Have you tried asking him what you are supposed to do if any of his higher ups ever call or come through once he's left for the day? If he's *supposed* to be working 8hrs a day he'll give you excuses to make. If it's his agreed hours then he'll say to tell the truth. Once you know if he's ducking out or not, it's up to you. If it's kosha, just find a new job. If it's not then you have the office phone book, you can find his bosses number. You could dob him in and hope you keep your job with his replacement or you can 'come to an agreement'. No obvious time wasting on social media or YouTube but you could do an online course or two or bring in pdf format books for the pc. Looks like work to passing people and it would fill your time. Maybe he'll be ok with you doing stuff that isn't clearly just time wasting? Teaching yourself advanced Excel would boost your CV for the next job...

Sounds like paid study time. Talk with your boss and figure out what to do with that time. My last 3 jobs supported me studying during down time. Your situation is not unusual.