Get on with it

By Pain - 06/05/2016 11:34 - United States - Andover

Today, my parents "suggested" I help them move house. I didn't realize that meant I would be carrying every single bit of furniture out of their house. The muscles in my arms are so tight now that I can't straighten them. I can't wait to help them unpack tomorrow. FML
I agree, your life sucks 13 291
You deserved it 1 720

Same thing different taste

Top comments

When you help someone move they owe you for life!

The critical part is done now - The actual moving. Sleep in today. It doesn't matter how fast or slow they unpack.

Comments

The older I get the more I will gratefully do stuff for my parents. Get on the roof and clean the gutters? No problem. Move the furniture? Done. De-mom&dadify their computers every other friggin' week because they can't help but click on the pop-up that swears they have to update their drivers right now now now? With a smile and a malware blocker install. They say "thanks for fixing the refrigerator", I say "thanks for investing 17 difficult years and uncalculated amounts of money in raising me to not be a total self-absorbed jagoff as an adult". When I was 15, though; no way would I do anything like that without a protest. Like all 15yo's, I was a total self-absorbed jagoff when it came to my parents. Executive summary: have a banana for the potassium, and move on - you will owe them more than you can repay for your whole life and moving their stuff is easy.

nobody owes their parents a lifetime of debt for having been born. If your parents were goood to you, absolutely do everything you can for them. But not all parents are good, and some demand far, far too much. My husbands parents have drained his bank account since he was 19 and expected him to be at their beck and call 24/7 based on your theory that he owes them for life. I say, good parents let their kids build their own lives. And take care of their own business. Popping out a kid is not an insurance policy for lifetime care.

Misswildsides 22

If they're making you do all the work, they're only taking advantage of you. Say no, or bring more people to help.

amccaul1976 8

I get the feeling that soon and we are going to read a follow up FML that says something about how your parents reacted to you not being able to help them unpack.

so fml I've been in a rutt my 3 kids and my wife and I are pretty much homeless I have a horrible job...I'm in a depression and can't find my way out (my first time going thru this) my wife i feel wants to take my kids and leave but both of us has had the worst luck. I can't hide my emotions and my kids see me down and I can't hide it. I have an extensive resume but for some reason can't get a good job... I love her and don't want to separate my family and don't know what to do

brocho 26

I'm sorry to say that I don't have any good advice, but I hope things work out.

brocho 26

Unless they are disabled and can't do it themselves, they should be doing their part. After all, it is their belongings, and they asked you for help, not to do the entire job yourself (or at least that's what I gather from the FML).

Moving sucks. If you can get a couple friends to help it might make it easier. Also bribing them with free food would make them more likely to help:)