Free speech

By christacat - 28/09/2016 10:24 - United States - Delaware

Today, I have a speech impediment that's recently become more noticeable. My entire family has decided that the best way to go about handling it is to mock me whenever I try to say something. FML
I agree, your life sucks 12 086
You deserved it 932

Same thing different taste

Top comments

That's awful. Maybe you could sit them all down and tell them how you're really struggling with it and they're really not helping you overcome it? Also look into speech therapy. It works wonders and is worth the money. Best of luck OP.

I know you're just trying to find the humor in this, but given the context of the FML, I think this just comes off as rubbing it in.

Comments

Yeah, because **** being decent humans, let alone a decent family! It's so much easier to be complete and total dickheads, then accuse the victim of being the problem in a few years when they hate everyone! Too bad authorities don't take emotional abuse seriously unless the situation gets really dire. At this point, I'd just stop ******* talking to them until they got pissy about not answering questions, then call them out on their behavior.

harleyivy 7

I know how that feels, you should talk to them and explain how inappropriate and hurtful they're being.

mcaisse77 17

I've had a lisp my entire life, but it's not really all that noticeable. Whenever I'm with my brother, he always points it out, so much that I can't say certain words in front of him. TL;DR I relate to OP

Try to explain to them, that they cause you stress and stress triggers impediments or makes them more noticable. If that doesn't work, learn ASL and never talk to them again.

Gotta love family. OP, I hope you have some really good friends who can be your new family if your relatives can't get their acts together.

I understand. I have a speech impediment too. freaking sucks.

Lizzy500 16

Carry a pen and paper and refuse to speak if they won't stop doing this. Their behavior makes your speech worse, not better, because stress and nerves are a huge factor (I mean seriously, do they think you WANT to talk funny???) Also show them this post and tell them we all think they're a pack of twatwaffles.

qteabutt 12

I'm so sorry about that, I know how it feels to have a family full of pricks. You should prank them, like put hair dye in a shampoo, glitter bomb them, something like that.