Fire…?

By Ashley - 14/10/2019 22:00

Today, two out of our three smoke detectors were going off. My grandpa won't call the fire department because he thinks our house will be condemned. The alarms are still going off. FML
I agree, your life sucks 1 510
You deserved it 161

Same thing different taste

Top comments

Do you not know how to work a telephone by yourself?

Are you sure it’s just a smoke detector and not carbon monoxide? Because you wouldn’t know if there was CO in the air and you were breathing it in.

Comments

Do you not know how to work a telephone by yourself?

If OP calls, it will create tension between them & grandpa

Ambrily 27

I'd rather argue with my grandpa than die...

Are you sure it’s just a smoke detector and not carbon monoxide? Because you wouldn’t know if there was CO in the air and you were breathing it in.

Maybe that's why grandpa is acting delirious!

Fairly certain that OP would be dead by now after hours & days of CO poisoning were that the case and hence no fml posting by same.

Nah, you can go a week or so with minimum amounts of it off and on. It really will make you delirious though, and most likely poisoned.

Smoke detector or is it a carbon monoxide detector? And, is there a fire anywhere? And, shut them off if there isn't a fire and its a smoke detector~! Do you not have a phone?

No, you let the experts ie, firefighters, search for possible fire & CO sources. Doing so yourself could needlessly endanger your life and other civilians who then rush in to try to save you. :-( What good is a phone when you need a fire extinguisher or an open window (or 5)? Instead, use that hand-held thing that you text & google with to make a phone call ie, its original purpose in life 45+ yrs ago. Oh, you let the battery run down to empty - again.... :-<

Well, Grandpa isn't wrong; after the fire consumes the house (& its occupants), the city WILL condemn it....

Phil 14

Is your grandfather(or are you both)a hoarder(s?) Because if there is so much junk around the house that the FD can't get in, then yes it's a possibility. Or maybe the house is in such a state of disrepair, that it would be considered a fire hazard.

Mungolikecandy 19

Maybe investigate the source of the smoke? If then there is a fire go an call the fire department yourself,

Smoke detectors are not infallible. They can be triggered by very high humidity, kitchen cooking smoke among other things. And they can fail altogether - the typical life of most smoke detectors is 10 years. Check if there is smoke or fire somewhere in the house or attic. If there is call the Fire Department. If there is no apparent cause for the smoke detector alarms, you could have a failed smoke detector. And if they are networked like in most new construction when one alarms all of them that are networked alarm. We have had a smoke detector fail and cause every smoke detector in the house to alarm. Once I confirmed there was no reason for the alarm I found the defective smoke detector and replaced it. Eventually I replaced all of them.

Why are you still in the house with three of those things going off? GET OUT! And use a cell phone to call the fire department!