Fire hazard

By Anonymous - 26/09/2020 17:11

Today, my boyfriend thought it was OK for both of us to leave the house with the oven on. FML
I agree, your life sucks 954
You deserved it 247

Same thing different taste

Top comments

It's most likely ok, except your electric or gas bill will be higher. There's an 80% chance your house won't burn down. Relax.

No, there's only a 32.7% chance their house will burn down in five trials. (See binomial distribution.)

Comments

Though it depends on for how long you were gone. I've knowingly left the oven on when it needs to be on for the next two hours but I need to leave for half an hour; it's not like I would have been sitting next to it anyways.

It's most likely ok, except your electric or gas bill will be higher. There's an 80% chance your house won't burn down. Relax.

Marcella1016 31

So if OP does this 5 times, there is a 100% chance her house will burn down at least once?

No, there's only a 32.7% chance their house will burn down in five trials. (See binomial distribution.)

Marcella1016 31

Holy shit. Math and probability trip me the **** out with how crazy it can get. It’s crazy and mind blowing and awesome 😳😱💥 Also - better odds for OP. Still not a bet I’d take though lol. Anything could happen while you’re out and you could end up gone way longer than planned. Better safe than sorry!

Weird stuff, isn't it? Unless they store paper or oily rags on the stove or in the oven, it's very unlikely it would start a fire. It'll certainly add to the utility bill and shorten the life of the appliance.

Eh. If you keep the oven relatively clean, it shouldn't be a problem, especially if it's electric. I worry about gas.

It's fine for you to leave. If you want your house to burn down while you're gone. Make sure your insurance is up to date before you go.

samsonity 5

I think your boyfriend missed the days of school where they teach you how to avoid insinuating the house.

Did you actually do it, or was it caught before no one was home?