Fake it til you make it

By aurelj1 - 03/08/2016 19:59 - United States - Colleyville

Today, I went out to dinner with my mom and several of her friends. My mom spent the entire night gushing about my Ivy League school and med student boyfriend. I attend a state university and I'm single. She threatened to cut me off if I didn't play along. FML
I agree, your life sucks 14 168
You deserved it 1 033

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I would've spent the whole night being sarcastic AF. Like Friend: wow, he's studying to be a doctor? Me: well someone's gonna need to pay for the boob job

That sucks. She doesn't have the right to do that, no matter what the situation.

Comments

jcash52426 5

Tell your mom that if you can't accept me for who I am then I'm going to no longer hang out with. And as long as your happy don't worry about what your mom say to other people.

BuckNekkid 22

How sad, sorry your mother did that OP

Your mom has issues. It's one thing to lie about her own life but to lie about your daughter's and force her to play along is just wrong. Hopefully one of her friends will catch her in a lie and call her out on it.

aurelj1 9

hey guys! OP here. just to clarify, my mom doesn't usually lie like this and i don't think she's a compulsive liar or anything of the sort. I have 2 druggy brothers who dropped out of high school and i think shes just desperate to have one kid she can brag about to her friends (even tho i think my real accomplishments are enough). Thanks for the support :)

The fact that you're in college and not in the same situation as your brothers is enough to brag about.

Parents like this royally piss me off. I think you're doing great being where you are in life and she should appreciate how successful you are. Sorry but your mom comes off as selfish and even kind of immature.

I'm so sorry that you had to deal with that. Your mum and yourself should be proud of what you have accomplished. As for being single, not a big deal! you will find the right person before long. Keep your head up OP :)

Cut her off first. She sounds like the type who cares more about her social status than her child's happiness. Kinda like my birth mom.

Sorry your mom isn't proud enough of you right now, OP...

I am pretty sure it's an IB League school not Ivy League…

Erm, No. The Ivy league is a league of universities that consists of "Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Brown, Dartmouth, Cornell, Columbia and Penn".

buttcramp 21

OP I'm really sorry your mom doesn't think you're "good enough." Keep in mind that even state universities are good schools and you ARE accomplishing something great by even getting accepted in the first place. You'll get your big break and find love!