Enough already!

By SadWoman - 30/09/2022 13:30 - United States - Kula

Today, my counsellor said that my venting needs to stop with this session, and that I needed to have goals towards which she can help me go. But I'm so lonely and just wanted to talk to someone. So now, a person won't take money from me to listen to me. FML
I agree, your life sucks 715
You deserved it 597

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I think you found yourself a goal! Find someone to talk to. It might help if you're willing to listen to the person as well.

I have said this over and over - No one wants to listen to another person “vent”… You are paying money and wasting your time venting - Your therapist wants to teach you how to deal with the issues that your face but “venting” accomplishes little except a very temporary relief and does nothing to help you learn better coping strategies.

Comments

I think you found yourself a goal! Find someone to talk to. It might help if you're willing to listen to the person as well.

Your goal is to find someone who will listen to you vent. Maybe you can make a podcast.

I have said this over and over - No one wants to listen to another person “vent”… You are paying money and wasting your time venting - Your therapist wants to teach you how to deal with the issues that your face but “venting” accomplishes little except a very temporary relief and does nothing to help you learn better coping strategies.

Some therapists are very goal-oriented, some aren't. This may not be the right fit for you. Or, there really could be some goals you might look into pursuing. Either way you need to make a change.

Venting is often a sign that something else is going on underneath the surface. I suggest finding a psychotherapist and finding out what is really going on and THEN make a plan for how to proceed.

The point of a therapist is to help you get better. If you aren't doing anything to help that happen it's your therapist's job to tell you. It would be far worse if she took your money and wasn't providing the service she was supposed to.