End of the road

By Anonymous - 28/02/2018 05:00

Today, I woke up to a note on my nightstand from my fiancée, along with the ring I proposed to her with yesterday, which stated that not only was she not ready to be married, but she’d been planning to end things before I “blindsided" her. FML
I agree, your life sucks 5 565
You deserved it 466

Same thing different taste

Top comments

I'm assuming you never discussed marriage before your proposal? That is a very important thing to do. So sorry anyway.

I understand her position but I feel she should have told you in person wherever possible

Comments

I understand her position but I feel she should have told you in person wherever possible

From what you said it seems like what she said in her mind is true. she left the ring. and didnt do anything crazy.

I'm assuming you never discussed marriage before your proposal? That is a very important thing to do. So sorry anyway.

I hope you mean EX-fiancée! *reads rest of story* Um, I guess you do. I don’t know anything about her, but feel free to select from “you dodged a bullet” or “Aw, I’m sorry.”

Luke16eirb7deneuwn1 20

Atleast you got the ring back...

Wintermelons 19

Holy shit, the only one who got blindsided was you!

So proposing just out of the blue is what exactly?

Wintermelons 19

Well, I mean, I don't think he was expecting that the morning after he proposed...

Well she didn't expect him proposing to her either. Especially when there had to be signs that the relationship wasn't going that well if she was close to breaking up with him.

That really sucks OP, but at least she ended it now and not later on.

Getting married is a decision you AND your partner should make. You should talk to your partner about marriage to see IF and WHEN you both think you should get married. You don't just propose out of the blue just because YOU want to get married without ever even mentioning marriage to your partner. That is very thoughtless, tactless and disregarding of your partner's feelings/opinion. And if you don't bother to ask what their thought about marriage is before you propose then you should realize that no is a chance. YDI for not talking with your partner about it and for trying to use marriage as a patch for your ending relationship. I actually feel sorry for her. She obviously felt pressured into saying yes.

F*** her life. I hope you don't go around talking trash about her now and paint her as the bad guy here. Maybe you can talk with her about it and get some closure after things cooled off a while.

Marriage is not something you surprise someone with. It isn't something you mention once and then just do. It's something that you plan about for months, even years. You could be dating 5 years and never spoken about marriage. My husband before we were married talked about it for at least 4 months before he proposed. It's a NORMAL conversation to plan your life together, and BOTH of you should be on board. She should be talking about it, thinking about what ring (if that's what you both want to do), thinking of what you'll be doing/wanting in 5 years. Do not surprise someone with a proposal! Surprise them with what DAY and HOW you'll propose after you've agreed upon moving forward! Good Luck OP. I don't know the whole story, but stuff like this rarely happens if it's been planned.